FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Alzuryu
Not the drug dealing shadiness, I mean as in plants which withstand shade quite well, such as butterworts!

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm running out of windowsill space for my sun-heavy plants :(

Temperate species would be preferred, this room tends to follow the trend and go stupidly cold during winter.

The area i plan to put them in gets around 2 hours of direct sunlight and bright indirect light throughout the day
By Grey
Some butterworts are okay with shadey sun, it's all down to individual species (and how often my keyboard cuts out while I'm typing). I'm going to dump in a quote from my website with regards to lighting for butterworts (pinguicula):
All pinguicula need plenty of light to thrive; the more, the better. All my pinguicula grow on my windowsill and receive at least eight hours of sunlight a day. Cold Temperate Pinguicula don't like direct, hot sunlight as they require cooler temperatures to survive compared Mexican or Warm Temperate Pinguicula. If you grow your plants indoors, a south facing windowsill is the best location for them but an east or west facing window will do as well.
You can always try a cold temperate pinguicula such as P. Grandiflora, in summer you'll probably find it easier to keep the thing alive by keeping it shaded and out of direct sunlight. I'm considering purchasing one later on in the year and seeing how it fares on my desk (which receives indirect sunlight pretty much all day). Here's some more info regarding cold temperate pings:
Cold Temperate Pinguicula require cooler temperatures than other pinguicula species to thrive; these temperatures vary from -3°C (26°F) to 20°C (68°F). It is important to do the appropriate research before dedicating yourself to buying a Cold Temperate Pinguicula as they do not survive well in warm climates and individual species may have wildly varying environmental requirements.

Humidity is not an important factor when growing Cold Temperate Pinguicula; these plants don't survive well in a terrarium due to excessive heat and moisture levels which can lead to root rot, mould and fungus issues. It is usually recommended that you keep your Cold Temperate Pinguicula outside year-round but move them to cooler locations should summer temperatures begin to soar.
And dormancy for cold temp pings... actully I'm just going to link you to the page: http://www.greyspinguiculagarden.com/co ... icula.html

As for other carnivorous plant species... I don't know, I'm a butterwort lady m'self.
By Alzuryu
Yeah i was on your website the other day :P very helpful! Only problem is, they're like dust magnets! i feel sorry for the poor things :(
Alzuryu liked this
By Grey
I consider myself highly lucky then (and I'm glad the site was helpful :)); my aquarium collects more dust than the pinguicula do, they stick to fruit flies.
By Alzuryu
O.O my ping (Wesker the Weser... heh, resident evil based puns) is a magnet for the stuff, i've only had it a good few days but my god, its leaves collect! (I have OCD, so 3 pieces of dust to me is "absolutely clogged", so its probably not as bad as i make out)
By Darkrai283
Alzuryu wrote:I have OCD, so 3 pieces of dust to me is "absolutely clogged", so its probably not as bad as i make out
Hehehe... I actually don't have OCD but I feel like I do. It drives me crazy! It was OK when I lived in Japan... but when I moved here to England, nearly everything was crooked! :lol: door numbers, DIY stuff, household objects, etc. Anything that's crooked, not in the right place, un-neat makes me feel uneasy and I spend ages rearranging and fixing things. I also get told off for getting concerned over small things by my parents which gets me under stress even more.

Probably the worst thing with this is my CPs. Because of this, I need to make sure all of my plants are looking neat, symmetrical, etc. So when I feel my plants are getting un-neat, I can't help it but to trim up most of the leaves on my CPs (even healthy green ones) which doesn't help alot...

So yeah, if that happened to any of my pings (hoping to get one soon!) I would get mad ('lunatic' mad, not the 'angry' mad :lol: ) about it as well!

:)
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!