FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Rudy272
Hello everyone, hope all is well. I am writing today in hopes to get advice from anyone on how to make a nice decent setup for my CP's. I currently have a rather beginner and lousy setup, which is basicly my plants on my eastern facing window seal. I would like advice on how to make a nice setup, by that I mean how can I make a proper mini terrarium or "greenhouse". I am only a student and dont have much money really to spend. I would like to have a artificial light source since its winter and not much son gets to my windows, but dont know where to buy the proper supplies for my budgte. So again, any advice would be much appreciated. I will attach a picture of my current setup just so you can get an idea of what I want to upgrade from, and perhaps you might get a laugh or to at the setup as well. Many thanks.
Attachments:
plantsetup.jpg
plantsetup.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
By Steve_D
Terrariums require a greater amount of expertise, and most carnivorous plants grow more healthily in pots with fresh air and sunlight or good artificial light, but not in a clear container with artificially high humidity.

You should remove the clear coverings on your plants if they receive any direct sunlight at all, because they will quickly turn into solar ovens and can cook and kill your plants.

Good start though! Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you'll get plenty of other comments, some of them much more helpful than this one. :)
By Adelaide
I'm a fan of terrariums personally :D I use an aquarium tank and put a layer of aquarium pebbles (you can use some other stones too that dont leave residues). I then put a screen or some sort of mesh on top of the pebbles and a good thick layer of peat and perlite (or whatever mix you prefer) on top of that. Then plant your plants! You can either leave a lid off or put one on and install some fans for air circulation (doesnt have to be anything fancy). And as Steve said, dont cover it and leave it outside in full sun, it WILL cook everything, however, CPs are surprisingly heat resistant. I accidentally cooked mine, got to over 100 degrees and killed all the crickets I had in there, but the plants were all fine.
By Steve_D
Adelaide, how do you remove old or stagnant water from an undrained terrarium and replace it with fresh water?
By Adelaide
you can just install a simple water pump if you have a lot of excess water; however,i didnt do this because the dirt stayed nice and moist without me having to water constantly, a little moisture in the pebble layer would just evaporate up to keep the dirt moist
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!