FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the UK or EU

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
I've got five batches of D. scorpioides available for 2013! PM me if you are interested, no charge, no fuss.

Drosera Scorpioides is a pygmy drosera; most species of pygmy drosera originate from locations such as western Australia. They have a 'dormancy' period in the summer and have a single, fragile root that buries deep into the soil. Because of this long root repotting is not recommended and flowers usually fail to produce seed. Stem and root cuttings do not work either so the only way to expand your collection of Drosera Scorpioides is via gemmae. Gemmae are produced during the wet season and can be propagated by gently removing them from the adult plant and sowing them onto wet media (a peat based soil is recommended with the addition of perlite or silica sand).

My collection of adult Drosera Scorpioides has produced a huge excess of gemmae that I would like to rehome, the gemmae will be sent out in wet paper towels folded gently and placed into bags. The gemmae should be sown as soon as they arrive so make sure you have suitable pots (preferably at least 4 inches in depth) and media available.

Remember, repotting germinated Drosera Scorpioides is a risky business so be sure to use a pot that you wish the plants to stay in for the rest of their lives. Try to sow each gemmae at least 1 cm apart to prevent overcrowding. The wider the pot, the better.

I can't really say how many gemmae I'll pack into each bag but they'll be harvested at a maximum of 12 hours before being dispatched. I'm not going to charge for these as I can't guarantee that they'll survive the mailing.

PM me if you're interested. I'd prefer to send them out to UK residents only as I know our mail system should take a maximum of three days for the gemmae to arrive, which should help ensure survival.
Grey liked this
By Grey
No worries.

I've run out of jiffy bags, hoping mum'll pick some up when she sends the first batch of gemmae out tomorrow (harvesting tonight). Will update when I have more bags, in the meantime feel free to continue sending requests guys and gals, it may just take a couple of extra days to send you a confirmation.
By Grey
Time for 2013 gemmae harvest!

It's that time of year again when I've got D. scorpioides gemmae that needs rehoming! I have three plants that have a nice head of baby dews (and a fourth that has just started producing) that can probably be divided into five batches; I can't guarantee how many gemmae you'll get but I'm not charging so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll only be mailing to UK addresses.

So, that's five batches of gemmae; please PM me if you are interested, I'll update as batches get 'eaten up'. They'll be posted some time this week, I'm sure (any batches claimed after Thursday will be dispatched the following Monday). These are hardy little things unless you repot them, so when you get them make sure you have their permanent home set up as they have been known to die very quickly due to root disturbance. Gemmae really is the best way to get started with these guys, save yourself the stress and risk of repotting!

Thank you and God bless,
Grey
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!