FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Places to buy Venus Flytraps and other carnivorous plants.

Moderator: Matt

By Alzuryu
Up to now i've only bought from littleshopofhorrors because they ship plants ready-potted.
I've never wanted to get bare-root plants because.. well, i'm not confident at all with potting them up, not to mention, surely they'd die?

It's a shame too because triffid nurseries has Grandifloras and littleshopofhorrors is sold out :(...

Is it all that bad?
By David F
They actually do quite nicely when shipped bare root, depending on the species, (some like Cepholatus may be more sensitive) however, flytraps and sundews will do just fun, even if you do a fuddly job of potting them.

Just make sure you rinse your soil and make sure the pot is deep enough.
David F liked this
By PeatMoss
Bah, even Cephalotus does fine if the shipper packs the plant well. Cephalotus was one of my first CP's and I got it shipped bare root. After a few times you get really casual about how plants are shipped. I have even had plants shipped to me in standard unpadded mail envelopes and they do fine...
PeatMoss liked this
By Matt
Alzuryu wrote:I've never wanted to get bare-root plants because.. well, i'm not confident at all with potting them up, not to mention, surely they'd die?
Most species of carnivorous plants are fine to ship bareroot. Flytraps, most Drosera and Sarracenia all ship well bare root. Even Cephalotus and Heliamphora can do OK shipped bare root if they're handled gently to avoid breaking any roots or pitchers.

You shouldn't be so hesitant to order plants bare root. Start with a Drosera or flytrap and give it a go. They're fairly easy to pot and they usually don't get set back much at all.
Matt liked this
By Alzuryu
I think i'm going to suck it up and get me a bare root d. anglica or something... See how it goes! I've only been growing (more maintaining...) CP's since last September and potting is always something i dread... Repotting Capensis seedlings was a nightmare.

Thanks all!
Alzuryu liked this
By Grey
If you're referring to Pinguicula Grandiflora then chances are this time of year it would actually be better to buy them bare-root. P. Grandiflora form a hibernacula (a tight bulb) during winter so you wouldn't need to worry as much as you would for other plants.

Cold temperate pinguicula that form hibernacula have a habit of reproducing via propagatable buds (aka. gammae), these buds have no roots and can be planted and left to burst into life in the spring. I remember repotting my P. Grandiflora and noticing that the adult plant, while a hibernacula, had no roots either.

It's up to you, but personally I've never had any problems with bareroot pinguicula (except warm temperate species, they really don't seem to like it), especially hibernacula. If you aren't talking about P. Grandiflora then disregard everything I just said :lol:
Grey liked this
By Alzuryu
Oh don't get me wrong, i understand in most peoples hands they'd do fine, but with my incompetence i'd probably do something wrong, eg: potting the plant the wrong way up, in gravel, with 5 different types of fertilizer. (Maybe not that extreme)
Alzuryu liked this
By Alzuryu
Heh we can only hope :P
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!