FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
Baby Red Piranha growing from its parent's flowerstalk.

Steve
By WORMSS
well im sure if you have the vast amount of plants u have.. u are bound to find quite alot of mutants :D
i remeber my main plant going through its punk rock mohican stage.
By Matt
Awesome photo Steve!
WORMSS wrote:well im sure if you have the vast amount of plants u have.. u are bound to find quite alot of mutants :D
It's called false vivipary and, from what I understand, it's actually somewhat common, but I've not had it happen to any of my plants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vivipary
I'm waiting for the day it does!

Steve, is that photo from this year or a previous year?
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:Steve, is that photo from this year or a previous year?
I had a baby on a flower stalk last year too, that I planted (with a section of flower stalk) after the seeds were harvested, and it's doing fine. But this photo is from this year, taken this morning, Saturday, June 6. I wanted to wait until the last flower opened to take the shot, so that the tiny flytrap would be the most developed before being photographed with a flower. :)

I'm thinking about sending this flower stalk to you or Jason, complete with baby flytrap, along with more flower stalks after the seeds are harvested (separate from and later than the shipment I'll be sending in a few days). Who do you think would like it or want it the most? :lol:

Steve
By Redneck_Angel
Thanks for sharing the pic Steve! It's always neat to see the surprises Mother Nature has in store for us :D
By grant
These plants are so amazing :) Thanks for sharing.
By Adam
Nice picture, Steve! One day it'll happen to one of my plants too I hope!
By jkochuni
I would love to get a Red Piranha flower stalk, but would hate to make you decide so I say give it to Matt! By the way awesome picture!
By Steve_D
jkochuni wrote:I would love to get a Red Piranha flower stalk, but would hate to make you decide so I say give it to Matt! By the way awesome picture!
OK-- thanks for making the decision for me. The Red Piranhas have lagged behind the other Flytraps first in flowering and now in setting seed. But I can send another shipment of flowerstalks to either or both of you that can include Red Piranha, aside from the one I'll be sending this week to each of you.

Thanks for the compliment about the photo. Photography is very interesting and I'm enjoying learning about how to do it manually as much as possible, but it's a very slow process. :)
By Matt
Steve_D wrote:Thanks for the compliment about the photo. Photography is very interesting and I'm enjoying learning about how to do it manually as much as possible, but it's a very slow process. :)
I hear that Steve! I picked up a few books on the subject, but there's nothing like just doing it and learning, though, as you say, it's a slow process.
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!