FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By moof
Hi,
Just ordered a small N.ampullaria 'Green'. Always wanted to get that plant, one of my fave pitcher plants! But I wonder what if it outgrows my terrarium, which is pretty full now. Is that a plant suitable for windowsill growth?

Peter
By HarrisAz
at my place,i give it 50%shaded sun.depends on hw much sun u get from the window.if in the afternoon,u will sure need a 50%shade cloth for it.Humidity is also an important thing

Ampullaria is one of my favorite Nep too!they look round and cute of course.and if im not wrong,they dont like cold temps,thats what John tell me.

so good luck!
HarrisAz liked this
By dimitar
Hi Peter,
Why not if your conditions are good. The amps are dependent and like much light. Some clones are tough. The plant will surely not feel good if the humidity is low. They grow wery well in high humidity over 85% and temps over 24C.
Cheers,
D

dimitar liked this
By moof
Thanks for the info guys,
Looks like I must place the plant in my terrarium, the humidity on my windowsill is low. In the terrarium, the temperatures are around 28 degrees C at day and 20-265 at night depending in the ambient temperature in the room.

Peter
By snapperhead51
moof wrote:Thanks for the info guys,
Looks like I must place the plant in my terrarium, the humidity on my windowsill is low. In the terrarium, the temperatures are around 28 degrees C at day and 20-265 at night depending in the ambient temperature in the room.

Peter

Hay Peter
how are you man tried to get you on chat but seem to miss you now days :cry:
well Harris has the advantage over nearly all of us by living in Malaysia and have the perfect conditions for low land nepenthes ,so the rest of us have to do other things to get them to grow best we can , Peter I would think putting that amp on the window sill for any length of time will just set the plant back ,and once they go back ward the recovery rate for them is painfully slow , any cold temps may result in permanent damage in my experience non of mine survived here in South Australia and even low land highland hybrids struggle here in winter ,spring and summer are fine but man they take for ever to get going again and the leaf and stem damage is extensive !! so in my opinion dont try it unless its summer time there , you may be able to keep it in the tank in winter and get it out when conditions are correct in summer but its a risk still I feel !!
hope that helps
John
o and the D. erythrorhiza will need to be smoke treated from what Allen Lowrie tells me as well seems is why most seed will not germinate cause wrong stratification has been done !! if I can find your email addy I will send the article that Allen sent me recently about smoke treatment of Australian seed ok !!
snapperhead51 liked this
By moof
Hi John! I'm back at the university now (studying pharmaceutics) so I don't have much time to give the forums a visit! Thanks a lot for your info, I decided to put the plant in the terrarium. No signs of germinations on those seeds yet but I think good of that! I tried the smoke treatment already from your topic very good tip. I'll PM you my e-mail address.

Regards,
Peter
Not what you would expect...

The guy who lived across from me has an electric[…]

You live in Siberia??? :shock:

I don't know about proven, but I've kept mine seal[…]

rustoleum 2x painters touch, but i do touch them u[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!