FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By snapperhead51
Eric
have a look through this many pic's of them in the wild here ,you may find interesting I dont have many of uppers , as when I have been in Borneo its mainly in Nov dry season and most of the uppers have been burnt off from the heat in the jungel, its normal at that time of year, in some parts of borneo low land areas, ,the lowwer pitcher usuall do ok as there at grown level and usually got some sort of shelter, the open road side plants are much stonger and seem to do a lot better than the jungle ones .

http://cpphotofinder.com/nepenthes-ampullaria-10.html
Attachments:
Amp's  Mulu National park
Amp's Mulu National park
P1070394.JPG (129.71 KiB) Viewed 5293 times
Amp  growing out from the now black hard stem , extending  high  into  the trees and forest above
Amp growing out from the now black hard stem , extending high into the trees and forest above
P1070632.JPG (81.27 KiB) Viewed 5293 times
amp  off the ground , working toward the uppers , the black stem's are the  upward growing stem of this Amp  going up some 30 feet or more in to the surrounding trees .
amp off the ground , working toward the uppers , the black stem's are the upward growing stem of this Amp going up some 30 feet or more in to the surrounding trees .
P1070623.JPG (131.1 KiB) Viewed 5293 times
N. ampullaria  ' elongated '  upper  im told !! not 100% sure !! Mulu  National Park  night trial . Nov. 2009
N. ampullaria ' elongated ' upper im told !! not 100% sure !! Mulu National Park night trial . Nov. 2009
P1070621.JPG (115.55 KiB) Viewed 5293 times
N. ampullaria  ' elongated '  upper  im told !! not 100% sure !! Mulu  National Park  night trial . Nov. 2009
N. ampullaria ' elongated ' upper im told !! not 100% sure !! Mulu National Park night trial . Nov. 2009
P1070620.JPG (96.55 KiB) Viewed 5293 times
By Dionae
Thank you very much for the very nice pics John! I've noticed there arent many pics of upper pitchers of amps. Will an amp continue to shoot out basals if its topped? Do you know of anyone that feeds their amps dead leaf matter and no bugs?
By bombsboy
Dionae wrote:Thank you very much for the very nice pics John! I've noticed there arent many pics of upper pitchers of amps. Will an amp continue to shoot out basals if its topped? Do you know of anyone that feeds their amps dead leaf matter and no bugs?
I think I read about the leaf feeding in some books on carnivorous plants... Ill check up on them and see what I can find.
I believe it was Adrian Slack who said that but im not sure.
bombsboy liked this
By snapperhead51
Eric
I seen so many amp's in the wild , but reaaly very few with much leaf litter in them , well thats the lower pitcthers any how , uppers will not seen inside them at all ,so cant say about them , I have heard all so about them ,with the leaf litter in them , but not seen it much my self where I have been
J
By tzestan
I heard that ampullaria rarely produces uppers. It tends to form clusters of pitchers along the stem, but still lower pitchers. Some say that stress triggers uppers. When it does, the uppers are small and non-functional.

John, could that be rafflesiana uppers in the photos you uploaded?
tzestan liked this
By hegory
they do look like raffs. I really like amps, but my growing conditions don't suit them.
hegory liked this
By snapperhead51
tzestan
I thougt so too, show the pic's to Stew Mcpherson when i got back , he said thats what there were so did not dought it, and there is no raffs in that area too only amps , but its all ways a possibliity hay !!
J
Basal shoots cutting questions

Awesome thank you so much

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!