FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By Adelaide
Well, I feel like an idiot, one of the people I sent some seeds to informed me that a bunch of the seeds got crushed by the letter machine thingy because I didnt wrap them in a paper towel or anything O.o (this is the first time I sent seeds to anyone and I must say, I didnt even think of that!) If your envelope arrives with a fine powder and no seeds I'd be happy to resend you some more.
By Shes Crofty
Adelaide wrote:I received both crofty's and bates jw's SASEs today and put them back in the mailbox, should be to you soon. (Crofty i liked the drawing, ...and the extra postage, lol.)
Yeah.. :lol: I did that JUST in case because the last SASE I did I only put one stamp, and the person had to put one more to send it out. I felt bad cause I had this moment going through my head, imagining the person having to go pick up stamps specifically to put one more on my supposed SASE.

I was writing the addresses when I noticed that cloud character on some Tokidoki post-its and I thought it was cute so I drew it. lol

I got the seed from you ~3 days ago, they arrived perfectly un-crushed, complete with cute drawing :3
Dubstep13 wrote:lol i got seeds its all good over here thanks :) how to germinate them?
I've read that a good method for quick germination is to lightly sandpaper (nail file) both sides of the seed, and soak them in tepid water for 24 hours, then sow 2-5mm deep in a very well draining soil (CP mix) & Keep them at 69-79F. Apparently this method used with fresh seed gets germination in 2-8 weeks. If you don't sandpaper them, I read it can be months before you see anything, and likely, nothing at all.
Shes Crofty liked this
By Adelaide
Yeah, I have no idea how to germinate them, they just kinda started and never stopped over here, I'm glad they got to you guys uncrushed. Thanks for researching that Crofty, and oh, i added a photo of exactly what the flowers look like to the sundew section (it's a little out of place, I know).
By bananaman
To germinate them, just soak them for 24 hours, then put them in wet soil.
You only nick them if they are old or if they are a tricky species, but these are obviously fresh, and this is an easy species. For species like P. alata, P. cerulea, and hybrids you need to nick them.
This species is P. incarnata, also known as the maypop.
They are very easy.
I have germinated P. edulis before, it is very similar to P. incarnata. In fact, P. incarnata was originally considered a subspecies of P. edulis.
In winter, it will die down to the roots, but it will come back and flower.
The fruits of this species are edible.
You put the seed and the aril (the little thing around the seed that is full of juice) in your mouth, pop the airl, swallow (not the seed), then spit out the seed.
bananaman liked this
By Adelaide
Haha, I always thought it smelled good!
Adelaide liked this
By Adelaide
yeah, i have pods again, if you send me a SASE i will give you some.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!