FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By that-smith-kid
Well, I went on over to the orchidboards.com community and got a prompt reply. For anyone else looking to grow these, here is what I was told by a gentleman over there:
"Aplectrum hyemale is a difficult species to cultivate if it was collected inappropriately and carelessly from the forest!

Terrestrial orchids in general are notorious for being difficult to grow in cultivation due to one major factor...

Many species generally don't produce very many roots. This applies for Aplectrum hyemale.

This particular species also has fleshy roots that do not penetrate too deep into the ground, and can spread much wider than the leaf is long, if you know what I mean (Please ask if you don't). They can easily be damaged if your father unknowingly dug too close around the plant.

If the roots are badly damaged upon collection you are hard pressed to grow it in the long term. Although it may not be an impossible task, it will be a long, hard, and tumultuous ride.

Digging too close to the leaf itself can also be a problem as it could possibly slice into one of the tubers (they are stem tubers, not root tubers, btw). A damaged tuber is a dead tuber, they are not forgiving like potato tubers can be. If there were multiple tubers joined together, do not even attempt to separate them. This could cause potential problems with energy transfer issues later down the road, particularly when you don't know the plant's life history.

With all that said, if you happen to have obtained a relatively intact and healthy specimen, they are not impossible to grow.

While it is true that many terrestrial orchids do utilize symbiotic relationships with mycorrhizal fungi, this particular species doesn't appear to be very heavily dependant on this symbiosis.

They grow in shade to bright shade.

These are cold - intermediate growing species. There is documentation of this orchid being able to grow in areas where there is a considerable amount of frost. It is not necessary to recreate this type of freezing environment to successfully grow this orchid in cultivation.

Dormant tubers can tolerate a considerable amount of heat. Mine has survived our warm summers that can shoot up to a little over 100 F. However, the caveat being that I have mine in clay pots that keep them somewhat cool.

They are for the most part winter growing/summer dormant.

The single leaf starts growing underground as early as late summer. By fall, it will have emerged from the ground. As winter approaches, the leaf is usually fully unfurled and fully formed.

Blooming season is in the spring after the leaf has died back.

Do not water this species much during the summer at all. Once a month is kinda pushing it for this species. It is prone to rot if they are over watered during dormancy. Once it starts rotting, it's as good as dead.

During the winters they should be grown evenly moist. Make sure the soil drains well. They are prone to rot if water sits in the pot and the soil remains soggy for extended periods of time.

Contrary to what you state, they more often than not are found primarily growing in rich top soils in woodlands, often with lots of calcium. The soil pH should be slightly more alkaline."
After just a few days my plants (my dad found another in the same spot, a little two plant colony ;)) are happy and responding well to their transplant. I'm keeping their soil slightly drier than I keep my flytraps, just about moist. Their receiving 12 hours of fluorescent light a day about 12" above them. Since I potted them, they have actually perked up their leaves, pointing up at a 45 degree angle :)

Come spring when they flower, I'll be sure to give anyone seeds who would like to try to grow these odd little things! ;)
coorain liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

What the heck did the USPS do to that box??? :shoc[…]

They're all tropical or subtropical, mostly differ[…]

I have not sold any of the 1st 3 plants listed. Th[…]

Fantastic!!! Glad you were successful *and* glad […]

Are you a fellow Michigander? I’m in Roches[…]

1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!