FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By branpera
There is really no way of telling what type of cultivar your plant is unless it has specifically come labeled, but it deffinatally could be.
By flytrap333
most likely. I have a low giant and that plant you have there looks like a low giant
By SEB
I agree, mine looks similar. It is defiantly a possibility but no way to actually guarantee it without a DNA test unfortunately. Just label it "Low Giants Brother"
By 95slvrZ28
If I were you I wouldn't label it a "Low Giant" simply because you can't guarantee that it is. It's always better to err on the side of caution rather than cause a potential mix up of cloned varieties. I have a plant that displays very similar characteristics to the one you posted, but it's a seed grown from FTS (and a fantastic plant!). Plus, there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying you have a "very nice typical" VFT!
By Dubstep13
its a typical seed grown i picked out from a dep store and you sould see it now it divided into 4 plants and all 3 of the 4 are huge now and look way better even for going dormant.... thanks though
By 95slvrZ28
It looks (and sounds like) a very nice typical! I think a lot of people place too much weight on the "official cultivars" or even the named varieties. Like I said before, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having a very nice typical. After all, B52 is just a very nice typical VFT!
By Steve_D
At this time of year a lot of plants will look like a Low Giant, because most Venus Flytraps in the northern hemisphere are now growing prostrate (hugging the ground) or nearly prostrate. I agree with others who recommend that in the absence of knowing for sure, it would be best to label it "Typical." Nice looking "typical" Flytrap though! :)
By xr280xr
Steve_D wrote:At this time of year a lot of plants will look like a Low Giant, because most Venus Flytraps in the northern hemisphere are now growing prostrate (hugging the ground) or nearly prostrate.
On that topic, I just bought a couple new plants that are growing very upright. I'm guessing they grew this way under artificial lighting, not from being light deprived at the store. Does that mean they think it's Spring and can they still safely go dormant in the next couple months?
By Matt
xr280xr wrote:Does that mean they think it's Spring and can they still safely go dormant in the next couple months?
I often take flytraps out from under lights that are actively growing and put them in the greenhouses outdoors. They usually seem to adjust to the seasons fairly quickly.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!