FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about growing with minimal or no organic growing medium.

Moderator: Matt

By Adelaide
I don't have any, but I'd like to get some. I'd love to see pictures if anyone has them!
By snapperhead51
yes i do grow a few ,will take some pic's and post them next week or earlier for you only got a few though
,I live in Adelaide too in South Australia ,
J
By Adelaide
:) cool thanks, I don't live in Adelaide though, I just used the name of an old french queen :D
By xr280xr
My wife grows orchids, but I don't think that's what you meant. I live in Austin, Tx and these grow all over (usually clinging to an oak branch). There's not as many this year, probably due to our drought. Sorry about the lighting in the pic, I had to climb up in my tree to get this picture (my neighbors were probably like, "wtf...") You can see them on either side of the diagonal branch going across the center. These look like they're probably suffering from the lowered humidity too. Sorry if this isn't even what you were talking about!
Attachments:
Air Plants.jpg
Air Plants.jpg (144.09 KiB) Viewed 14206 times
xr280xr liked this
By Adelaide
Lol, yes, that is what I was talking about. Thanks so much for the pic (especially the climbing the tree part :P ). Do you have spanish moss growing all over too? If I were you I'd get me some of them and stick them to something! I've actually seen some setups online, bark mounts usually, with orchids and these little guys all over, very pretty.

I thought this one was cool:
http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/sty ... ire-plant/

umm here's some other stuff:
http://www.jworlds.net/intro.html
By NathanG123
I have a few strands of Spanish moss but nothing too exciting I used to have alot of airplants (they sold them at a garden centre near here) but they died when we were redecorating :(
By Adelaide
aww, how did they die? Theyre supposed to be very movable and sturdy
By xr280xr
Whoops, I thought I replied back to this one. I've never seen any Spanish Moss around. Those are cool uses you linked to, though I don't know if I'd personally want a skull hanging in my house. The original Whole Foods downtown has a whole decorative wall of air plants (I think) growing over their escalator:
Attachments:
photo(9).JPG
photo(9).JPG (205.06 KiB) Viewed 14127 times
By stitz25b
i used to have them but it just died
my care was:
im a humid terrarium
everymonth water with tap water (yes tap water)
the minerals in tap water are the nutrients for the plant
By jwbates26
Tillandsias are a cool plant. I used to have a few when I was younger. I don't really know what happened to them I remember some of the leaves being a really nice blue and red color when it got a lot of sun light. I saved one from a flower shop in town. It was lying on the ground of their green house. The leaves were curling up indicating that it’s dehydrated. I felt bad for it so I paid 7 dollars for a half dead plant. I cut off all the dead leaves and soaked it for a few hours in distilled water and now I just spray it until is saturated every two days until the water drips off. Once a week I'll let it soak in a bowl of water just for an extra drink. Since I got it, it’s separated into three individual plants and all three are growing now. Here’s a picture of them.
The middle one is turning red.
The middle one is turning red.
Tillandsias.jpg (190.3 KiB) Viewed 14047 times
Right now they are at about 50% humidity. As long as you water them frequently they can stand drier conditions. Like I said, if the leave starts to curl up you know it really needs a drink. Pretty easy to care for.
jwbates26, jwbates26 liked this
By jwbates26
I'm plaining on getting more. The green house in KC I was at a few weeks ago had a ton to sellect from, but I didn't have any extra money to spend. They had all different type, mounted, unmounted, big, small... I hope to go back soon. I have seen them on eBay I may get some from there too.
jwbates26 liked this
By fishandplants
I thought about getting some of these, too. :) I think you soak them once every 2 weeks or something? I saw some at my local nursery, varying anywhere from $3 ones to large $10 ones. I know www.lbg-cp.com has some different species, and shipping is cheap if you see one you like that you don't find on ebay.
By Adelaide
wow, they are selling darlingtonia for 4.50, i wonder what condition theyre in, anyone buy from them before?
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!