FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By muscipula118
Can anyone tell me about the Czech giant VFT? I ordered one in the mail because I heard it was a fast grower and grew bigger than the average venus flytrap and I just wanted to know more about it. Does anyone have one?
By knights
What exactly is it you would like to know?
apart from everything you already mentioned, as far as i know its no different than any other flytrap.
A great cultivar of VFT. its one i dont have yet, but hope to soon.
you will have to post some pics here when you recieve it.
By muscipula118
I'd like to know if the traps on it get big and if it really is a good grower also does it look like a normal VFT? I'll try and post some pics when I get it.
By Matt
Yes, Steve and I have hundreds of them :) It is a clone I obtained from another grower soon after I started collecting flytraps a few years ago and propagated it to make it more widely available. It's an OK clone with mostly average traits, but it is a vigorous grower with above average sized traps.
By jht-union
I have some czech giants, for the most part it grows vigoriously, andit grows tall. Like Matt said, is an ok clone. :). The traps are not big, or at least in mine, but it has relatively average size traps. :)

http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/venus- ... giant.html
jht-union liked this
By Stratofortress
Late Response, but I had to chime in: I've only had my Czech Giant a little over a month now, but it has distinguished itself from my other Dionaea with its interesting reaction to repotting. Uprooting always results in more than a few trap deaths, yet my Czech Giant experienced barely any trauma in the process. This may have little or nothing to do with the cultivar, but considering the insane number of VFTs I've collected since May 2012, I cannot recall another plant adjusting like it never left the ground.
By Dubstep13
i did a trade with frog and shipped him plants and when he recieved them and potted them they grew for him like they were never even shocked or phased by the shipping....... in 3 days they were growing vigorously again and none of the traps even died! and we have totally diff climates
this is due to my plants being very happy and 100% hardened off to outdoor! that doenst mean greenhouse that means 100% uv rays from sun outdoors all day and night! this is when VFT is the strongest and most happy!
so its True that Hardened off plants do bounce back faster even when switching climates!
yo frog tell em lol
By swat007j
Matt wrote:Yes, Steve and I have hundreds of them :) It is a clone I obtained from another grower soon after I started collecting flytraps a few years ago and propagated it to make it more widely available. It's an OK clone with mostly average traits, but it is a vigorous grower with above average sized traps.

Can i have one :P
By frog
It's true I lost no traps unlike most any retail plants I've ever bought. But It's kind of late in the year for me to say any of my plants are growing vigorously.
By NelsonR
Hi, I just oredered one today, but I have a question for matt and steve, is it winter allready where you live?

Are they dormat?
If they are dormat, how long had they been dormat?

I wanted to know becouse there is no winter here in PuertoRico, therefore I have put my plants in the refrigerator so they can have their dormat period.
By Steve_D
NelsonR wrote:I have a question for matt and steve, is it winter allready where you live?
No. My Venus Flytraps normally don't go dormant until the end of November, and Venus Flytraps are somewhat flexible with regard to the time, depth (temperature) and length (amount of time) of dormancy. You could help your plant rest in Puerto Rico by putting it in the shade (for the relative coolness) and not watering it frequently (just often enough to keep it from drying out completely) and it might be able to go through dormancy (at least a light but sufficient one) without having to resort to the refrigerator or some other artificial technique. But just use your own observation and best judgment. Good luck! :D
By NelsonR
Thanks.

I don tink they would be able to be dormat here.

People go to the beach in winter

In winter temperatures are of about 80 F during the day and 70 F at night.
By Matt
NelsonR wrote:I have a question for matt and steve, is it winter allready where you live?
While it's not winter and my plants aren't what I would consider fully dormant, they're definitely progressing that direction. They're losing leaves rapidly now and all of the new leaves are short, rosetted leaves, both of which are a sign of oncoming dormancy.
By NelsonR
Oh, so who is sending my plant?

If matt send i Ill make it go fully dorma, however if steve send it ill continue the grow station for atleast a month.
By Steve_D
NelsonR wrote:Oh, so who is sending my plant?
Matt and I will both be sending some of the plants. You won't have to put any of them into dormancy conditions until about a month from now (late November), and they will happily emerge from dormancy after 14-16 weeks (in mid to late March).
Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!