FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Arctic
The simple answer is that I don't. I just let the plant keep the dead bug until the leaf dies and gets cut off or just rots. If the bug gets moldy I'd just use some tweezers. I've got a pair of tweezers and small scissors just for messing with my plants.
Arctic liked this
By colby100
Since i have mine under lights when the freeze dried blood worms get ugly i pull them off with tweasers it also lets pressure off the leaf and lets it recreate dew to catch crawling around soil mites i sometimes have.
By RL7836
For most dews outside, the rain washes away the carcasses & with many species, it doesn't seem to bother them if the remains stay.

In 2009-10, I decided to start feeding my D. schizandra WFF's & it made a huge difference. Since the plant was in a closed container & the leaves are very thin, leaving the carcasses on the leaf ended up creating a hole in the leaf (or killing the whole leaf). Since that wasn't acceptable, I picked the largest part of the bug remains off with tweezers & wiped the remainder off with an IPA-soaked Q-tip. This ritual was a major pain & I do not recommend it unless absolutely necessary - see the pics in the thread above for the results...
RL7836 liked this
By Adelaide
Mmmm :/ I'm like you, I think dead bugs are ugly and I love when the tentacles are all dewy, I wait til the leaf dries and then (I know its kinda gross) I just rub all the gnats off with my fingers, it works well enough and doesnt seem to damage the little red hairs.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!