FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By VintagePC
Hey folks,

Figured I'd share this for kicks:

A while back I started a flower stalk on my VFT and it took root and is growing nicely.
On closer inspection, it has 2-3 mutations- double/split traps, and such. (Too small to get a good picture).

Anyway, today I looked at the parent plant and noticed this (attached).

Worth a discussion, I thought. Are mutations in VFTs really common? Are they environment influenced?

Also procured a nice 1x2' terrarium to which I'm going to re-pot my VFT this spring (there are at least 4-5 rosettes in the same pot, time to have the kids move out... hehe.)
From what I've read, I can:
1. Use a CCFL for light, adjusting the photoperiod as necessary.
2. Line the bottom with 1-2" of landscape bark for drainage
3. Cover with a good layer of flytrap media.
4. Add an adjustable cover to keep the humidity right.

What I've done up till now for other pots is 50/50 dead milled peat moss (plenty 'o that, we use it for horse bedding) , and washed silica sand, without perlite. (Reason for that is all I've been able to find is the "enriched" miracle-gro crap)
Is that sufficient, or should I really look at getting some for my potting mix?

I'd also like to add more CPs to my collection - a few VFTs, possibly some sundews and pitcher plants. Can they coexist well under the same conditions in a terrarium? Also, roughly how many plants can I put in that space, allowing room for them to grow without having to re-pot every year?
Attachments:
IMG_1362.JPG
IMG_1362.JPG (86.3 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
By VintagePC
Interesting that they're so uncommon... and to think that the stalk I planted from this parent also has similar mutations... *Cha-Ching*! (just kidding!)

Got two more flower stalks sitting in some planting medium right now; kept moist and lots of light.

Out of curiosity, what's the success rate for planting flower stalks? I've had 3-4 before this one that just didn't work for me. Perhaps I'm cutting them off too high?

That said, it's pretty quick to tell if they take or not- if they don't, the entire stalk turns brown and dies... if they take, only the top part dies and the rest turns a deep green... then some time later you'll see sprouts!
worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

After sealing the wood, I would line the top pa[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!