FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By EtCetera
So my gf just got me these VFT's and we put them in this glass bowl. I'm thinking it will help keep in the moisture and humidity but now I'm wondering if it's too shallow for them. I've grown VFT's before and I had them in a deeper clay pot and they did just fine. What do you guys think? I really want to keep them in here because they look so cool in there but not if you think they will die!

Also, is it okay to use a mixture of window light and indoor light to keep these guys healthy?

By slark78
Cool they may look, but I reckon they will surely die if left as they are! Humidity is not essential for good VFT growth. Good light, the correct media and water is all they need! Check out the growing tips on the home page of this site! Hope this helps.
By swat007j
EtCetera wrote:Don't VFTs thrive in high humidity climates?
Yea i heard they need humidity or is that more for the Droseara?
By Dubstep13
let me point you in the right direction here ok!
this really does look cool and all and i love my CPs like pets too but VFT grow long root systems. for a plant that size give them at least 8in. but if you plant to raise it for a few more years go for 10in.
roots grow just about strait down not out and about so you dont ahve to worry about roots tangling if you have a somewhat crowded pot.
what are those rocks marbles you have in your peat moss? ive been told silica sand works the best because it doesnt leach minerals into the soil. 50/50 mix of organic peatmoss and organic pearlite(no fert) is good for starters. distilled or rain R/O water is a must! NO tap
well hope that helps ya bud :) welcome to FTC and happy growing i hope your collection grows.
Hint....... get a big pot and fill it with CPs lol
By Grey
Venus fly traps can thrive in high humidity environments however it is not essential to their overall health; if you want to give them a terrarium of some sort it needs to be airated daily or have a fan in there to prevent the air from going stagnant. Stagnant air = mould and fungus issues. The plant also needs to be in a pot with drainage holes or you may find root rot becomes a problem.

The plants themselves have very long root systems (one root I can remember on my first plant, Mr NomNom measured at 7 inches) and so need to be potted in tall pots to prevent cramping. The roots grow downwards so the deeper the pot the better.

Using a fertilizer free peat/perlite or silica sand mixture is thought to be the best for venus fly traps; it allows great aeration which prevents compaction and reduces the possibility of overwatering (which can cause root rot and death) by making the soil easy to drain. If you use silica sand make sure it is pure silica as some brands have other minerals in, these minerals can leech into the soil and cause mineral burn to venus fly traps (which can kill them too).

That is a beautiful plant and it does look cool in the bowl, but with the lack of drainage it's sure to lead to mould, fungus and root rot. The stones may also cause problems as they could leech minerals into the soil so I suggest removing them.

Best of luck! =]
Grey, Grey, Grey liked this
By 95slvrZ28
swat007j wrote:
EtCetera wrote:Don't VFTs thrive in high humidity climates?
Yea i heard they need humidity or is that more for the Droseara?
I just want to reiterate again that high humidity is not a concern for either VFTs or Drosera. It may help them settle in a little faster after they've been shipped and repotted etc. but it is certainly not necessary to have high humidity to grow a nice looking plant.
By EtCetera
Thanks for the help guys. We went out and got a bigger and deeper pot along with some peat moss and perlite. I'm concerned about if they will get enough light now. We have an outdoor balcony that faces north but it only gets a couple hours of direct light (probably less) because the surrounding buildings shades it most of the day. I was thinking of combining this natural direct light with an indoor fluorescent light. Will this work or will it be fine on the balcony?
By swat007j
After reading about the root system I'm Concern of my VFT i have them planted in a 4" pot there roots measure 3" will they be OK ? or should i get a taller pot? There roots may be hitting the bottom of the pot soon is this bad? or will the roots turn sideways?
By pieguy452
swat007j wrote:After reading about the root system I'm Concern of my VFT i have them planted in a 4" pot there roots measure 3" will they be OK ? or should i get a taller pot? There roots may be hitting the bottom of the pot soon is this bad? or will the roots turn sideways?
it will be ok, but they will struggle growing. you will find much better results if you get a deeper pot :)

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!