FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Anne58
My one and only ping has finally opened it's first flower, and there is another bud on the way. I certainly pity any critter that comes to visit before the flower opens - I had no idea that they have mucus traps all over the stem, bud and unopened petals.

Your post with attached photo, Grey, about the fruit flies dotted up and down the flower stalk on your ping really illustrated this well.

Here is the picture of the flower . . . . .
Ping Flower.jpg
Ping Flower.jpg (14.35 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
After looking at many pictures on Google, I think I have a Moranensis variety.

When I looked at the flower in high magnification on my computer it looks like there are little beads of mucus surrounding the white areas of the flower. I guess that stops any would-be freeloaders from having a meal without doing their duty to pollinate the flower . . . . . if you aren't big enough (ie strong enough to escape the glue) you're going to go hungry.
Anne58 liked this
By stitz25b
eithe moranensis or tine
anyway nice flower
By Grey
Beautiful flower, thank you for sharing the photos! Yes, I found the mucus up and down the stalk and on the actual bud to be fascinating.

I'd say your plant is a P. Moranensis variety, as you correctly pointed out. P. Tina flowers have much more rounded petals and are often a shade of lilac rather than bright purple. It could also be a P. Weser (which is actually a hybrid between moranensis x ehlersiae) though the flowers seem too purple for it.

Either way, it has P. Moranensis in it somewhere and must be a very happy plant! Congratulations!
Grey liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!