FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Submit a photo to enter the contest or vote for your favorite photo submission

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Hello FlytrapCare members,

The sixth FlytrapCare photo contest is about to begin! The carnivorous plant photo contest will open for on submissions Monday, September 26th. The rules are as follows:

Photo Contest Rules:
1. One carnivorous plant photo submission per user; your submission is final.
2. The photo must be no more than three months old and must be of a plant you own.
3. The photo can be of any species of carnivorous plant, but the plant species must be included with your post (although, i.e. "Sarracenia unknown hybrid" is acceptable). The make/model of camera that took the pic is not required, but should be included if known. Camera settings like exposure time, aperture setting and ISO setting would also be nice, but are not required.
4. The plant must have been in your possession for at least 3 months.
5. You must post your country of residence along with your submission.
6. Photo contest entrants must have a FlytrapCare "Joined" date of August 25, 2011 or earlier.

Submissions can be made by uploading the photo directly to this forum (once the contest starts) or uploading the photo to the community portion of the site (http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivorous- ... oader.html) and posting a link to them here.

Please upload your photos to the September 2011 FlytrapCare Photo Contest Official Submission Thread

The contest is open for submissions for 14 days, closing the evening of October 9th. After the contest closes for submissions, a poll will be made from all of the submitted photos and every forum member will have three votes for the photos that they like the best. Voting will be open for 10 days, starting the morning of the 10th and ending the morning of October 20th. Each person will be allowed to vote for up to three photos.

Winners will be announced shortly after the contest closes.

Now, for the part you've all been waiting for....the prizes! Top three finishers will receive prizes.

Photo Contest Prizes:

For winners in the US:
1st - Dionaea muscipula "Trichterfalle"
2nd - Heliamphora nutans
3rd - Cephalotus follicularis

In addition, the Home Tissue Culture Group (via Carol Stiff), has generously made a donation as well.

The overall top finisher in the US will get their choice of one of the following:
* A Kitchen Culture Kit DVD
* 10ml of PPM (Plant Preservative Mixture)

If the winner doesn't do tissue culture, I'm sure that they can find someone here to sell or trade the prize to (I would be interested :))

Thanks a lot for the generous donation Carol!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
For winners in the EU, the prizes will be announced shortly (hopefully). If we're unable to secure prizes from a generous grower in the EU, the prizes will be (thanks to Grey for the Pinguicula, Drosera and Sarracenia seeds):
1st - Three packets of Dionaea seeds from the FlytrapStore AND Pinguicula ibarrae, Drosera binata var dichotoma & Drosera capensis mix (typical & alba) seeds
2nd - Two packets of Dionaea seeds from the FlytrapStore AND Drosera capensis Mix (typical & alba) and Sarracenia species mix seeds
3rd - One packet of Dionaea seeds from the FlytrapStore AND Drosera capensis (typical) & Drosera spatulata seeds

User moof (Peter) has also graciously donated a set of 5 different utricularia to the top finisher in the EU (regardless of overall place)!

For winners in Canada, the prizes will be very generously provided by Jun (hackerberry) and are:
1st - Cephalotus follicularis
2nd - Heliamphora minor
3rd - Clump of Venus fly traps

For winners in Australia, the prizes will be very generously provided by John (snapperhead51) and are:
1st - Nepenthes ventricosa x sibuyanensis x carunculata adult plant large pitchers
2nd - Heliamphora minor x heterodoxa large plant
3rd - Cephalotus follicularis medium sized plant

For winners in other countries, the prizes will be:
1st - Three packets of Dionaea seeds from the FlytrapStore
2nd - Two packets of Dionaea seeds from the FlytrapStore
3rd - One packet of Dionaea seeds from the FlytrapStore

All plant prizes will ship bare root (not potted and without soil).

Additionally, the top three places will receive a FlytrapStore T-shirt!

To be clear, there are NOT three winners in the US, and three in the EU, and three in Canada and three in other countries. There are three winners total, and if you're one of the three, you can figure out what prize you'll get based on where you live and the prize lists above.

I want to say that I'm very thankful to John, Jun, Peter, Grey and Carol for being willing to donate some seriously awesome prizes to the contest.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask them in this thread. I very much look forward to seeing some awesome photos of carnivorous plants!
Matt liked this
By pieguy452
oh no, my only 3 month old plants are my 3 typical venus flytraps, and two of the plants are severely deformed :( I was also wondering, are the people who win always master photographers with amazing cameras? ( im not much of the photographer and i was wondering if i would have a chance at winning)
By Matt
stitz25b wrote:hope someone from eu donates prizes
Me too. I'm having trouble getting a hold of Carl. I hope all is well with Carl.

I was hoping to start the contest in early September, but it's difficult getting everything organized and prizes sorted out.
pieguy452 wrote:I was also wondering, are the people who win like always master photographers?
Not really. There are a few people here that are good at photography and are usually quite competitive in the contest, but sometimes just an average photo of a very nice plant wins :)
By Shes Crofty
pieguy452 wrote:I was also wondering, are the people who win always master photographers with amazing cameras? )
I've got a Canon Powershot SD1400 and I won 3rd place in the last photo contest. :D
I'm definitely no master photographer either, I just spend a lot of time playing with my camera.
By Daniel_G
Shes Crofty wrote:
pieguy452 wrote:I was also wondering, are the people who win always master photographers with amazing cameras? )
I've got a Canon Powershot SD1400 and I won 3rd place in the last photo contest. :D
I'm definitely no master photographer either, I just spend a lot of time playing with my camera.
Hehehe, i have a crap camera and i never get a prize :lol:
Tho', my plants never look that good for the contests :(
Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!