FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Alzuryu
It caught a ladybug the other day, and its just opened - turns out the digestion process was strong enough to rip the red pigment from the ladybugs shell o.O interesting
By Alzuryu
Will post some in the morning :) It's awkward at the moment because the only light i have to rely on is my phone flash - Power outage in york, bloody thunderstorms :(
By stitz25b
why does york have thunder?
and in winter WHY DO U STEAL OUR SNOW!
WE GET LITTERALLY NO SNOW WHEN THE REST OF BRITAIN GETS IT!
EVEN CORNWALL GETS IT!
By SnapSnapIOM
I might be missing the point here

But the plants does not take its red colour from any insects even if it you feed 1,000 red bugs
VFT that are red are red because A. lots of sun or B. We messed around with its genetic make up to make it that way eg All red Form, Royal red Akai Ryu etc
By Darkrai283
SnapSnapIOM wrote:But the plants does not take its red colour from any insects even if it you feed 1,000 red bugs
VFT that are red are red because A. lots of sun or B. We messed around with its genetic make up to make it that way eg All red Form, Royal red Akai Ryu etc
True... I often find ladybirds in black and white after the traps open up but it doesn't mean that it takes it red pigment to make it self redder. The reasons why your akai ryu got red is probably because: 1.sun. Plants get their red pigment as it acts like a sun cream. When there is more sun light than a plant needs, they put on their red colour. 2.If you got it recently, it might have been going through environmental shock for a while and may have not been going that red than it should be but after it got used to your conditions, it might have been comfortable enough for your plant to get growing and puttin on their red colour again.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!