FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Alzuryu
Slightly off centre on the first picture, theres a shoot coming out. it doesnt appear to be where the rest were coming from, but maybe its just below the other leaf? i'm not sure what to look out for really, anyone?

Also included a pic of my growing all green and a big mouth just incase anyone was interested ;)
15092011034.jpg
15092011034.jpg (392.96 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
15092011035.jpg
15092011035.jpg (426.78 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
(Yes my windowsill requires a good scrub o.O)
(Oh also, the if i transplanted some of the "green stuff" growing on the surface of my akai to the all green pot, will it end up covering that too? as you can see i've put some in the all green)
By Alzuryu
well thats a shame o.O will the divisions be noticeably far out? or will it only really be obvious via uprooting?
By 95slvrZ28
The photo is a bit blurry so it makes it hard to tell. My initial though is yes, that looks like it could be a division forming. Since I can't actually see the center of the rosette, it's a tough call though. It should be pretty obvious if it's a division because it will start putting out leafs in its own rosette. Give it a little more time and I think you'll be able to see for sure.

As far as the "green stuff" goes. Yes, if you put that in your other pot it's likely that it will begin to spread. That said, although it looks nice, carpet moss is something many growers try to avoid. It can often block light from younger plants or divisions and it makes it difficult to gauge how moist the soil is. It can also help keep moisture in the soil, which will make many growers over water.
95slvrZ28 liked this
By Alzuryu
95slvrZ28 wrote:The photo is a bit blurry so it makes it hard to tell. My initial though is yes, that looks like it could be a division forming...
Yeah sorry about that, mobile phone camera's eh? :P But yeah it appears to be a new rosette, as i can see two smaller-than-normal shoots appearing from within it. from the mother crown i usually get much larger shoots, thats what made it stand out to me.
As far as the "green stuff"... ...difficult to gauge how moist the soil is. It can also help keep moisture in the soil, which will make many growers over water.
Yeah i noticed this, as a response i've changed how i water this plant in relation to ones without a carpet - Without a carpet i usually fill the tray, wait for it to drain, wait a further day, and fill up again.
The one with a carpet i wait two days after a full tray has been used as opposed to one, as it sucks up water like a thirsty sponge.

Thank you very much :)
By SnapSnapIOM
agreed with the no's in the first photo there is no division new division grows from a different point from the center and normally are a lot smaller
your new growth is from the same point and are the same size

but your plants look good :)

PS the window could do with a clean hehe
SnapSnapIOM liked this
By Alzuryu
Thanks for the input :)
your new growth is from the same point and are the same size
They just emerged more over the night, and from what i can see, they appear to be tiny in comparison to the large shoot emerging from the obvious centre. at a guess i'd put it around 8 times smaller. Either its a very small shoot appearing - or a division :P I'll keep an eye on this and post any more developments!
PS the window could do with a clean hehe
Done :D this room doesnt get used very much o.O i've commandeered it for my fish and plants now though ^.^
By Alzuryu
Just checked again with a magnifying glass (Dedication!), and it appears that it is indeed a division, as it appears the leaf is nearer to the mother's crown than the trap is.

(In such a way that this trap will actually grow over the mother's crown instead of away from it, showing that this is indeed a division :))

Wow i'm awful at wording things - I hope no one here is an english teacher. (and that someone understands what i mean...)
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!