FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Chris Hale
Hi there all you Fly trappers! I am new to owning a new pet fly trap. I live not far from Gatwick Airport, England. My new pet lives in a first floor apartment with East and West facing windows, thereby getting quite a lot of sunshine. The weather here is typical of a Temperate climate of a Northern European country. Summer temperatures can reach to the 90's F. Winters can go down to freezing. The last couple of winters were particularly cold. My apartment has normal central heating and fitted with inert gas double glazing. My occupation is as a coach driver, so the hours worked can be up to 12 hours a day. I live alone so it would be unfair to have any pets other than the spiders in the corners of my flat. Flies are one creature I hate, so the new pet can be an asset. Although there doesn't seem to be may flies around at present. But, when I decide to have fish for a meal it is usually frozen, and when it is defrosting and being prepared the big blowflies appear, no matter how I try to swat them they are faster and always evade my futile attemps to hit them. On one attempt recently to swat a particularly persistant insect I swiped at it, missed, off course but managed to hit a glass lampshade which shattered and a piece of flying glass found it's way to my reasonably new LCD TV, leaving a nice little nick in the screen. So feeding may or may not be a problem, after reading all I can find about the Venus Fly Trap I am sure it can well look after itself. Chris Hale.
By stitz25b
welcome to the forums chris
hope u get rid of the flies
good luck trying to grow it
i assume its from b&q or hombase right?
By Daniel_G
Hey, nice to have another UK'er on here, catching flies is best done away from glass, and TVs, as you've found out the hard way! :lol:

Good luck with feeding and growing your new flytrap!
By Shes Crofty
Hello and welcome!

I'm sorry about your TV! :( I really dislike flies too, and ants. Annoying little buggers! Thank gosh that's what my plants catch most!
By anarchyonline
Welcome chris loved the intro lol very ammusing...good luck with the new pet.

Ps. If you aint got any flies the spiders in the corners will do lol

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!