FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By SEB
I know these are super dumb questions, but I continually have a confusion on some terminology and what it means.

What is a clone?

How does one make a clone?

When talking about a plant clone, is this the same as a mericlone?

Also, what is the difference between a variety, Cultiver and Species? There are so many different Cultivers of DM that are so vastly different yet it is all the same species. What is the description of each of these?

Like I said, silly questions but would really like to know. Oh, and the questions are concerning plants, more specifically carnivorous plants. I don't need to know how to clone a goat.

Thanks
Seb
By NelsonR
A clone is a genetically exact replica from a plant

A clone can either be made by:

-Leaf pulling
-Division
-Tissue Culture
-etc...

A clone is made when you have a plant with desirable characteristics
NelsonR liked this
By jamez
Incorrect Nelson. A clone is not made when you have a plant with desirable characteristics. A clone is made when you replicate it. When people say "my B52 clone they mean their replica of the B52. The clone is made when there is another of the exact one.

i see cultivar as a type of plant.a species is the group. So Drosera is a species but there are the sub sp. which are capensis, leucoblasta, etc.
jamez liked this
By NelsonR
I meant that people clone plants when they have desirable characteristics

Example- B52, people clone it becouse it have big traps (a desirable characteristic)

I didnt meant that a pla t with desirable characteristics is a clone.
By Matt
jamez wrote:So Drosera is a species but there are the sub sp. which are capensis, leucoblasta, etc.
Drosera is not a species. Drosera is a genus. Capensis is a species. For more information about Biological classification (i.e. kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species), see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_classification

"Clone" is a term that Steve and I regularly use to describe the flytrap varieties we sell. Cultivated varieties, also known as cultivars, are plants which fit a certain description, but aren't necessarily genetically identical. All of the plants we sell in the FlytrapStore are genetic replicas of the original plant that was selected to be a named cultivar. Therefore, they are clones and not just plants that fit a cultivar description.
Matt, Matt liked this
By SEB
Matt wrote:All of the plants we sell in the FlytrapStore are genetic replicas of the original plant that was selected to be a named cultivar. Therefore, they are clones and not just plants that fit a cultivar description.
Wow, that is kind of awesome! I also read that page on classification that you posted a link for. Good stuff!

Thanks for helping clear up the confusion.
Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!