FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Beer Boy
Here in Thailand the average temperature is 35c. Should I expose my grandsons VFT to direct sun, or keep in partial shade? Also, should I keep the plastic cover on to provide humidity,or not?
By rhys1234
wow. thats 95 degrees. well, id say you give them around 5 hours because of that hot tempature. and once in a while, give them some rain water. with those conditions, water will be neccasary. i give my fly traps 10 hours of sun in new jersey. sooooo sometimes maybe on a cooler day, give them 10. :D hope this helped. also, its your choice for the humidity dome. i dont keep mine on because they dont have one naturally in the wild :D
By Darkrai283
They dont really need high humidity to grow well. High humidity and stagnant air in a humidity dome could encourage rot and the temps inside the dome can get boiling since youre going to put it in direct sun and the average temp is 35C outside. It could easily kill your vft unless theres some ventilation where air and wind can get in and out easily. So I would not advise a humidity dome.
By nep lover
For a good baseline use this website....
http://www.accuweather.com/us/nc/wilmin ... etails.asp
Wilmington, North Carolina is the general area where VFT are from... some VFT are conditioned to tolerate different heat/cold, humidity, and light... but this is a good standard.

Good Luck!!
By Beer Boy
Thanks for your help.I will now remove the dome, even though it has a vent hole.put the plant out early for the morning sun and keep my fingers crossed.
By 95slvrZ28
Those temps seem pretty warm, but certainly not unbearable for a VFT. Just make sure you acclimate it to the natural light slowly to avoid serious sunburn and you should be fine. A perfect place to grow it would be somewhere that gets direct sunlight in the morning and evening, but partially shades the plant during the hottest hours of the day (usually around noon-3:30pm). Good luck and happy growing!

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!