FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By jamez
I have a 22 year old one. I usually sell them off before they get old. It has 1.75" traps now and 6.25" petioles. They produce A LOT when they get that old. I have over 60 plants from it. The leaves have a lot of grain in it, and it dries out more than my other plants. Doesn't have good color.
By 95slvrZ28
Bob Ziemer has a clone that he has been growing since 1955. I believe both Matt and Steve have divisions of it and I can only assume the original plant, and divisions are still going strong.
By bananaman
You can perpetuate a single clone indefinitely thorough division, micropropagation, or cuttings. I believe one single plant can live for 50 years or so...

But that is just a guess!
In the wild they probably do not get very old, but if cared for correctly, they will live to their maximum lifespan (which I assume is 50 years or so...)
By NelsonR
Its hard to tell, becouse the VFT's like to divide quite often (atleast mine do) and mine divide by three, so theorically I get three new plants every time they divide, so saying that my oldest vft is 8 months old, a leaf pulling.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!