FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By jyemenai
So, I'm a little worried about my VFT (I named him/them "Kivat"). I'm not too concerned about the sunlight they're getting even though it's not optimal; they seem to be doing fine in that department for now. However, the problem is the temperature in my dorm room. The only thing running through our building is AC, but I quickly turned that off upon moving in, so my room isn't freezing (which is how I normally like it). But, it's still not hot. I continue to water them when I feel the soil gets dry (around every 3-4 days, I think). I tried opening the window to let some heat in, but that didn't work out too well. Does anyone think they'll be fine with a relatively cooler room? I was by my window today checking on them and got warm, so maybe being so close to the window will warm them up a bit.. I'm going to look into ways of setting it outside of my window. There is a small, SMALL ledge that it can fit on, but I'm afraid of it falling =/

By 95slvrZ28
The temperature probably really isn't going to be too big of a concern, especially in VA. VFTs can be more than happy in quite a wide variety of temperature ranges and humidity. They would probably be happy enough in a room with AC as long as you don't have it set to arctic cold. I'd shoot for 75 or above for an acceptable summer daytime temp, nights can be cooler, but I'm sure the plants would be ok growing at lower temps than that.

Looking at your photo I would say your biggest problem is actually light. All of the leaves are displaying long and thin growth, which is a common symptom of a light starved plant. Something that could initially help them out would be raising the soil level in the pot to help them get a bit more light exposure. What direction does your dorm window face? Does it get at least 4 hours of direct sunlight each day?
95slvrZ28, 95slvrZ28 liked this
By jyemenai
Oh no! That was the one thing I was hoping they were okay with. I can definitely raise the soil level (brought everything with me). I'm not sure of the direction, but I know they don't get direct sunlight. The window I have them in is the only window in my room, so I can't really move it. I could take it with me when I work the desk in my building, but that's only on Wednesdays and the occasional weekends. Should I consider buying a plant light?
By 95slvrZ28
If the window doesn't get any direct sunlight that's going to be a big problem. You should probably start thinking about some sort of artificial lighting. For a pot of that size you could probably get away with a nicely sized "sunlight/daylight" CFL to be honest. It's certainly a cheap solution, and probably the best for a dorm room. I would just get the biggest (highest wattage) sunlight CFL and put it into a desk lamp and use that. Good luck!
By jyemenai
I looked up various things on Amazon (i get free 2-day shipping, so i tend to check there for things first). I found this(http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-LKIT60- ... roduct_top) and thought it might be helpful. Should I try that out, or just go with the CFL? I don't have a desk lamp, so I'd have to buy that, too, but I'd be willing if it's a considerably better/reliable option.
By SnapSnapIOM
If its just the one plant buy something like this

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... 0k&x=0&y=0

That one you linked looks like a spot lamp and they are far to hot ( i had one once)
SnapSnapIOM liked this
By Nats
Yeah, those spot light dont work out.
Find a small tube fluorescent 35W tube and fixture.
Try to find a bulb that has a color temp of about 6400.
By 95slvrZ28
I agree with the others, I wouldn't use that spot light (unless you're planning on replacing the bulb). A high wattage CFL and the cheapest adjustable desk lamp you can find should be sufficient.
By jyemenai
Thanks guys! I'll probably post again once I have everything set up.
By jyemenai
So, I raised the soil level and purchased a lamp and light. I would like to know if everything looks okay now.

Here's the bulb I'm using:

I was also wondering if the light is too close? I can't find a ruler, but I used some AA batteries I found; the light is about two batteries away from the pot. I'll probably move the light up and away before I leave my room for lunch.
By 95slvrZ28
Looks good! Hopefully those plants liven up for you a bit now. I wouldn't move the light any further away unless the plants or potting media starts feeling pretty warm. An artificial light isn't going to give the plants light it's too intense, so your only concern is really going to be the temperature.
95slvrZ28 liked this

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!