FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By Dubstep13
the paper of my orchid i bought says that after all the flowers fall off you can cut the stalk one inch above the second node and i could flower again within 6 weeks
Phalaenopsis "moth Orchid" white
is it true cus my plant has 2 stalks and only one flower left
how do u do it?
what is the second node from the plant. second node from the top or the bottom or what im confused dont want to do this wrong. anyone know????
By cvlover
Cut just above the bottom flower node and you may get flowers or sometimes keiki (young plant). Make sure that you clean your scissor/knife with alcohol. Some people prefer to cut the stalk so plant will be more healthy and bloom next year.
By MDSantos
Hello.

I have several Phalaenopsis orchids, species and hybrids. I have NEVER cut a green spike, I have found at least with mine, that most of the time the spike won't die, and will branch off from the original spike and flower again. And blooming, branched Phalaenopsis orchids are gorgeous! Only one of my Phal's spikes, or stalks as you called them died down, and that was only half way. I cut with sharp sterilized scissors, and put ground cinnamon on the cut to prevent infection. Blooming takes a lot of energy, and it would be best to not "force" the plant to bloom, it will on it's own and will soon enough with the right conditions. I hope this helps!
By MDSantos
That's normal. I know a lot of people suggest cutting them down, but I don't see the need with Phals. One of my Noids (No I.D.) stopped flowering, and after about a month they started to branch off. Have you checked the roots, and re-potted?

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same th[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!