FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nats
What kind of plants are you growing?

It's the right color temp, not sure 24W is strong enough though.
Nats liked this
By nep lover
Nats, good question.

Plant Girl 29, have you thought about going bigger? And can you elaborate on the seedling you will be growing? I have a similar light, with 4 bulbs (2x 3000K and 2x 6700K) and it puts out 8000 Lumens and my plants love it
nep lover liked this
By SnapSnapIOM
I checked that light out and it looks like a gimmick lol sorry just being honest no point wasting your money.

That 1 bulb at 24watt might put out about 1500 lumens which isn't enough by any means

Not sure where you live in the world so am guessing the US i did a quick search for similar price lights and this is a good one

http://www.basementlighting.com/Merchan ... 1/PROD/PL1

Nep Lover why do you use 3000k tube ?
SnapSnapIOM liked this
By Matt
I don't know if that light would be strong enough or not. I'd guess that plants placed within a few inches of it might do OK. But why get something so expensive when you can get a regular shop light fixture from your local hardware store for $10 and use $10 T8 bulbs in it?
Matt liked this
By David F
Aww shoot I had a large responce to this and then navigated away from the page without submitting?!

I guess I'll repeat, Matt, and all other people having a similar issue.

I've been looking a long time for a cheap light fixture to accomodate me, but the things are either too small, way too big, or just right, but they don't accomodate the right type of bulbs, or any specific store might carry lights with the right spectrum but no fixtures to actually use them with.

The light earlier in this discussion works just fine for me and actually makes plants color up quite nicely, and even though it is high output, and can be put a fair distance away from the plants and still have nice growth, it is so expensive!

So say I just want to go buy one of the growlights on one of those websites, the prices are very very high? It seems like something like this would be so easy, but really everytime I'm at any store, I always check, and am always dissapointed.

By all rights I could get one of those 4 or 8 foot triple light fixtures pluss bulbs and only be brought back somewhere around a 100$, but what do I do with all the extra freaking light, it would be really nice if I could get two 2-3 foot double or triple lamp fixtures with varying spectrum bulbs, but for reall it is impossible, without either paying a ton of money online, or having the wrong type of lights.

Does anyone know of some like direct sources which sell all types of the fixtures/bulbs, so I can finaly accomodate my specific needs?
David F liked this
By Naja002
David F wrote:
Does anyone know of some like direct sources which sell all types of the fixtures/bulbs, so I can finaly accomodate my specific needs?
You can check here: Catalina Aquarium

It is manufacturer-direct. I have 1 of the lights linked to. It was ~$170 shipped and came with the 2x 6500K and 2x 10,000K bulbs that I requested at no extra charge, and they have individual bulb reflectors. They will put pretty much whatever bulbs in them that you want, but there may be an extra charge if you are looking for very expensive bulbs. They are quality lights. I've had zero issues with mine. If you find something that suits you just call them and talk to them...past experience of mine and others is that they will take good care of you.

HTH
Naja002, Naja002 liked this
By PlantGrl29
Thanks everyone...I'm having the same issue as David F when it comes to finding anything at my local hardware stores either they have a light/no fixture or vice versa...guess the search continues
By David F
Thanks for the link, I sort of wish that 3 lamp fixture wasn't so powerful, in terms of the price reduction I would be perfectly okay with less wattage :)! But this website will probably serve me well in the future thanks!
By David F
Okay, I hope this link can help a lot of people, you can customize how many lamps, how powerful those lamps are, how long the fixture is etc. The one I have in the link happens to be the one that fits me best!

I was really happy to stumble on this it should eventually fit perfectly in a south facing window, whom will have a shelf built in it, and even though its 113 dollars or so, its free shipping, and I think the savings are like 40 dollars because this website is just awesome or something?

Anyways, I think this is perfect, maybe you don't have many plants go ahead and get a 2 lamp 2 ft fixture, or whatever you want!!?!?!?

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/grow-li ... tItemsName

Good luck guys, I know its a little pricey, but oh man!
By idontlikeforms
The Hydrofarm T5 light fixture will be strong enough for VFTs. You would need to place it 2-4 inches above your plants and keep it on for about 16 hours a day during the growing season. I use HO T5 bulbs myself and they are way better than T8s or T12s, no comparison between the two. The wattage is lower because it is a 2 foot bulb not 4 footer.

However I would not recommend using this. The 4 foot HO T5 bulbs that all hydroponic stores carry are better IMO. You will have to mount it some way yourself above your plants but you'll get a lot more lighting for your dollar with them. The 4 footers usually cost about 36.00. Just check your local phone book for where a hydroponic store is near you or ask your local pot smoker. They are usually in some out of the way place that you never bothered to look.
Fishing

I'll list them then and let you all see what you m[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!