FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By dmagnan
Ok so this is a random question, but I just started up a 10 gallon aquarium with a few fish, and I've been recommended on an aquarium forum that I should keep plenty of plants, since I'll be a little overstocked once the fish get to full size. I was wondering if I could get away with bladderworts or some other aquatic CP? The pH of my water needs to stay near neutral for the fish. It would be particularly nice to have CP's, which can withstand low-nutrient conditions, so I don't need to fertilize. Fertilizer if done improperly can lead to algae blooms. Has anyone ever done this? Any advice? Is it possible?
By dmagnan
Pics! I'm cycling with fish, mainly because I'm impatient (and also because I didn't do my research). To try to keep the fish alive, I've added lots of plants. I have some java moss, java ferns, wisteria, aponogeton, amazon swords, anubias nana. Fish: A honey gourami, and 3 peppered corys.

Carnivorous plant ideas?
Attachments:
honey-gourami.jpg
honey-gourami.jpg (239.07 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
fish.jpg
fish.jpg (222 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
08-20-11.jpg
08-20-11.jpg (390.89 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
By snapperhead51
you can grow some aquatic plants in there , but from what i have heard here they can become over powering in the tank they establish very quickly with the light and water quality, food is usually abundant for the in there and grow super quickly , in my tub in the green house I grow Gibba , it gets fertiliser from the nep fertilisation and reasonably good light , its filled the large tub i have in less than one year completely ,and that is with low light so the higher the lighting the faster it will grow too ! so just be warned about that , but they do look so cool it would be hard to resit
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By dmagnan
snapperhead51 wrote:you can grow some aquatic plants in there , but from what i have heard here they can become over powering in the tank they establish very quickly with the light and water quality, food is usually abundant for the in there and grow super quickly , in my tub in the green house I grow Gibba , it gets fertiliser from the nep fertilisation and reasonably good light , its filled the large tub i have in less than one year completely ,and that is with low light so the higher the lighting the faster it will grow too ! so just be warned about that , but they do look so cool it would be hard to resit
J
The plants I have so far are all supposed to be very hardy and grow like weeds, so I'm just going to let them fight it out for dominance of the tank, and I'm curious to see who'll win. Thanks! Now I need to find a place that sells them.
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!