How green mold look like and how can be removed ?

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones
roarke

How green mold look like and how can be removed ?

by roarke » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:24 pm

How really green mold look like ? I didn't find a photo in the forum. Its spreads, but can be killed under light (neon light or sun) and isopropyl alcool ? Some moss may look like mold ? Like green patches ? My drosera has i think star moss and under it has some green like moss patches that look like moss but stay under the star moss and keep their size.

SnapSnapIOM

Re: How green mold look like and how can be removed ?

by SnapSnapIOM » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:03 pm

It doesn't do any harm as far as i know

I like the way your plants look :)

The only thing i do with algae is turn the soil over but then your would mess up your nice moss :)

You can trim back that moss as-well if it starts out growing your plants
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage

My Growlist snaps-grow-list-t12285.html

roarke

by roarke » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:52 pm

the green patches are smooth and i don't think is mold. Any picture or photo of a green mold you could show me ?

Myhumminbird

by Myhumminbird » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:11 pm

Is it algae? I have had that happen on a couple of pots that I kept too wet that were seedlings. It is almost a blue green color, and I just repotted them to get rid of it. It was killing my seedlings. I think that it was BradR, that told me to use the cheaper brands of moss, and not the finely milled stuff that I was using, and not to keep my pots as wet. Worked for me.

SnapSnapIOM

by SnapSnapIOM » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:15 pm

yes in that photo there is very tiny green patches of algae that i can see but i wouldn't be worried about that

those seedlings look big and strong enough to cope also some people say that this problem is to do with lack of air movement

I have a few big fly traps that have thick algae growing around the top in the green house but are fine :)

Yes you could re-pot them if you want to but i think this is more trouble than its worth but that's my 2 cents
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage

roarke

by roarke » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Myhumminbird, it is not blue green color, is rather darken green and some lighten. I will do some experiments with different substances to see if i can kill algae. I removed almost all patches of algae.
strong enough to cope

SnapSnapIOM, in small seedlings (or rootcuts), what damage the algae could have done ? And it seems that is some sort of symbiosis between moss and algae, but i don't know what, besides that they share humidity. Moss grows right from the algae.

SnapSnapIOM

by SnapSnapIOM » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:20 pm

I have all sorts growing on my plant surfaces and i haven't had any problems

It bothers some people just purely for cosmetics reasons so they remove to surface soil and replace it simple enough

I havent heard of algae damaging plants its not like they have roots but maybe if it over runs your plant maybe then

I did a Google search and couldn't find much

The following users would like to thank SnapSnapIOM for this post
roarke

Return to Venus Fly Trap General Discussions