FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
Sky924 wrote:The sand for the lack of nutrients and the moss for more a little water retention when they go dormant.
I actually have a vft from lowes growing in a mix of LFSM and silica sand, i was growing it in pine needles but it didn't work out well, it is too aery, you will have to cut the pine needle in very very small pieces, and also i guess using it with silica sand would help tooo. But so far the VFT is recovering really well, since it was growing in all pine needle and it almost dried up is throwing little traps, so there's no way to prove whether or not an adult VFT would grow well. But it works well for me, so give it a try! :)
By Sky924
Pine needles i am shy of,, pine has a lot of oils and aromatics and such,,, there is a chance that the oils in pine do not agree with VFTs since they do not grow naturally in the same enviroment. But who knows man thats why we are here,, to live and learn. I get my moss in bags that i swear at times look like weed!!! LOL,,, brings back old memories. I too grind up the moss into a soil like consistancy. What matters most is what works for each person best.
By jht-union
Sky924 wrote:Pine needles i am shy of,, pine has a lot of oils and aromatics and such,,, there is a chance that the oils in pine do not agree with VFTs since they do not grow naturally in the same enviroment.

My guess is that you haven't read this(if you look on the 3-4 pages, there's even more pictures):

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/north ... ilit=north carolina trip photos&start=45
By Sky924
I dont guess ,, best guess is experience and pine needles do work,, but i rather stray away from them based on past experiences.
By Nats
If you could compost a whole bunch of pine needles that would make a more natural
media since that (and a little sand) is what they grow in in N. Carolina.
If you visit the bogs and wetlands there, you will see thick carpets of pine needles
all over the place.
By jht-union
Nats wrote:If you could compost a whole bunch of pine needles that would make a more natural
If you visit the bogs and wetlands there, you will see thick carpets of pine needles
all over the place.
Have been there, but without luck of seeing VFT's or any other CP. :(
By nep lover
jht-union wrote:
Nats wrote:If you could compost a whole bunch of pine needles that would make a more natural
all over the place.
Have been there, but without luck of seeing VFT's or any other CP. :(
shoot! I live next wilmington and i have never seen them! I have heard storys of VFT being found onthe Marine Bases is the area.
By jht-union
pieguy452 wrote:what i am wondering is why all sand makes the traps bigger?
The roots can go deeper below because the grains of silica allow the roots to dig deeper.
It is aery therefore gives perfect aeration to the plant! :)
By Moshelly1
Hi there I am also growing from seeds trying 2 different methods of growing, first is with wet peat moss and the second is with wet tissue, it's 6 days and roots are starting to grow, I'm curious as to how long it takes to grow first leaf or trap from time when first root appears till first leaf or trap?
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!