FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By munchie16201
I have another question. Geez i seem to have lots of them. My question is,my vft has caught some kind of weird looking bug. It has been close for about a week and where the bug is in the tra is it starting to turn brown/black. Is this normal? What should i do with the trap? Leave it on or take it off? If it is best for me to take it off,should i just take the trap off and leave the rest alone?
Also on my big VFT some off the leaves are turning black near the edge to the middle off the leaf. Yeah went for a trip and left famiy take care of it and they used tap water I think that burned it or something? What should i do with these leaves? Can i use these leaves for leaf pulings? Will they fall off by themselves or should i take the leaves off? If so,how much of the leaf should i take off? Thanks for the help.
By Nats
Traps are only operable 3 or 4 times then they die.
An older trap with a bug in it will die while its digesting.

Leaves turning black around the edges can be a sign of lots of things.

It would be better if you could show us a pic of it.
By Matt
munchie16201 wrote:It has been close for about a week and where the bug is in the tra is it starting to turn brown/black. Is this normal?
Yes, it's fairly common to have a trap turn black when it catches a bug, particularly if the bug is large and/or has a very hard shell.
munchie16201 wrote:What should i do with the trap? Leave it on or take it off?
Leave it.
munchie16201 wrote:Also on my big VFT some off the leaves are turning black near the edge to the middle off the leaf. Yeah went for a trip and left famiy take care of it and they used tap water I think that burned it or something? What should i do with these leaves? Can i use these leaves for leaf pulings? Will they fall off by themselves or should i take the leaves off? If so,how much of the leaf should i take off?
It's hard to say what is causing the blackening without photos. But I always leave leaves on the plant until they're completely black. I personally wouldn't use them for pullings, but you can try if you want to.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!