FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By BigBella
I am terribly fond of seed-grown plants of all kinds; have been for decades -- and have a few seed-grown Nepenthes from 2009-10 for sale (from Japanese and Australian-sourced seed); and all of the proceeds -- minus payment and shipping -- go to an Alzheimer's-related charity. I have generally dealt with eBay in the past (deacon831) but have grown tired of their interminable charges and the more-than-occasional kook element hovering there.

There are two N. hamata from different sites; an N. macrophylla; and the last of my N. aristolochioides to be offered for sale. All are grown in orchid net pots in composts of primarily live sphagnum and are well-established.

Nepenthes hamata -- from seedpod to one year old seedling.

Nepenthes hamata (Katopassa) 2010: SOLD

Nepenthes hamata (Lumut) 2009: SOLD

Nepenthes macrophylla (Trusmadi) 2009: SOLD

Nepenthes aristolochioides (Jambi) 2009: SOLD

We generally ship on Monday and Tuesday to ensure that plants don't wallow at the post office during the weekend. Insured USPS Priority Shipping / Handling is 12.95 to all fifty states . . .

Unfortunately, the offer is only open to the US . . .

Thanks to the generosity of the growers here; it is for a good cause and I am not keeping dime-one from any of the sales.

PM me with any questions and other seed-grown plants will be made available . . .

Last edited by BigBella on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 11 times in total.
By colby100
when you say 200 and 100 are you talking about dollars if so why so expensive those are just little ones i can find them for 15-20 dollars inculding shiping
By BigBella
colby100 wrote:when you say 200 and 100 are you talking about dollars if so why so expensive those are just little ones i can find them for 15-20 dollars inculding shiping
Show me where you can find these seed-grown species for 15-20 dollars -- "shipping included" -- and the whole lot is yours . . .
By jht-union
Predatory Plants offer lots of nepenthes, at a good price and not that expensive for the great service they provide! :)
http://www.predatoryplants.com/Tropical ... ts-s/5.htm
By Matt
BigBella wrote:
colby100 wrote:when you say 200 and 100 are you talking about dollars if so why so expensive those are just little ones i can find them for 15-20 dollars inculding shiping
Show me where you can find these seed-grown species for 15-20 dollars -- "shipping included" -- and the whole lot is yours . . .
I think colby100 might be confusing N. truncata with a more common Nepenthes. The cheapest I've ever heard of a truncata selling for is $75 and BradR got that one at the BACPS meeting.
By BigBella
jht-union wrote:Predatory Plants offer lots of nepenthes, at a good price and not that expensive for the great service they provide! :)
http://www.predatoryplants.com/Tropical ... ts-s/5.htm
I know the grower (not twenty minutes from me) -- a good guy who also has a plant or two of mine; and the last time I checked, they did not carry N. hamata (though had a listing for a TC plant on order for 250.00 from BE) and very few seed-grown plants; and while there is a popular forum for tissue culture on this site (and I applaud it and have learned a great deal), there is also a real desire for seed-grown plants -- as the last decade has proved. There is a real distinction -- a good amount of variability -- simply not seen in micro-propagated plants. There is also the added benefit of potentially obtaining a female from the bunch of Nepenthes seed --unheard of (so far as I know) among any of the clones of N. hamata and N. macrophylla, currently distributed through TC. For that very reason, I am also raising N. villosa from seed.

Below, as an example, are two listings for TC -- not seed-grown plants from the dealer:

http://www.predatoryplants.com/Nepenthe ... am-hry.htm
http://www.predatoryplants.com/SearchRe ... =25&page=1
By Matt
BigBella wrote:while there is a popular forum for tissue culture on this site (and I applaud it and have learned a great deal), there is also a real desire for seed-grown plants
Well, you can still get seed-grown plants started in tissue culture and speed up the process. I start several hundred flytraps in TC from seed every year :)
By BigBella
Matt wrote:
BigBella wrote:while there is a popular forum for tissue culture on this site (and I applaud it and have learned a great deal), there is also a real desire for seed-grown plants
Well, you can still get seed-grown plants started in tissue culture and speed up the process. I start several hundred flytraps in TC from seed every year :)
Matt, I have done a number of aseptic germination of rarer seed over the years; but there exists a confusion among consumers of the "broader" definition of seed-grown plants. I currently have some 2011 seed germinating . . .
By BradR
BigBella wrote: Show me where you can find these seed-grown species for 15-20 dollars -- "shipping included" -- and the whole lot is yours . . .
Welcome to the forum BigBella. You are right about the seed grown Nepenthes selling for a considerable premium over the clones. Everyone wants a female. The hamata clones available are all are all male. I think your prices are at the upper end of the range, but not terribly out of line for those highly sought after species.
Josh does have a N. macrophylla for sale right now for $125.00.
http://www.predatoryplants.com/Nepenthe ... ep-mac.htm
Matt wrote:The cheapest I've ever heard of a truncata selling for is $75 and BradR got that one at the BACPS meeting.
Matt:
I think you mean N. hamata. I bought a N. hamata from Josh Brown for $75. It is a clone 3 male. It is slightly larger than the Hamatas that BigBella is selling, but is not considered a seed grown plant that has a chance of being a female.

Brad
By BigBella
BradR wrote:
BigBella wrote: Show me where you can find these seed-grown species for 15-20 dollars -- "shipping included" -- and the whole lot is yours . . .
Welcome to the forum BigBella. You are right about the seed grown Nepenthes selling for a considerable premium over the clones. Everyone wants a female. The hamata clones available are all are all male. I think your prices are at the upper end of the range, but not terribly out of line for those highly sought after species.
Josh does have a N. macrophylla for sale right now for $125.00.
http://www.predatoryplants.com/Nepenthe ... ep-mac.htm
Matt wrote:The cheapest I've ever heard of a truncata selling for is $75 and BradR got that one at the BACPS meeting.
Matt:
I think you mean N. hamata. I bought a N. hamata from Josh Brown for $75. It is a clone 3 male. It is slightly larger than the Hamatas that BigBella is selling, but is not considered a seed grown plant that has a chance of being a female.

Brad
Thanks for the welcome. It is a fine site and has had be dusting off my college TC notebooks on a more or less regular basis . . .
By gino
Hello bigbella, it's nice to see you here in flytrapcare.com. I met you just a couple of days ago in terraforums. I was the one who asked about growing cephalotus from seeds. So it's my turn to welcome you to this site. Hope you can also post your valuable inputs here, as much as you do in the other forum. See you around!
By Matt
BradR wrote:Matt:
Oops, you're right. Can you tell I'm not a Nepenthes guy? All of those species names mean nothing to me. But if it had been a flytrap clone name, I can assure you that I would have remembered correctly :)
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!