FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By bananaman
Hello all!
I need help designing a terrarium for my Nepenthes ventricosa.
It is hitting the lights of its current terrarium, in other words it is 1 foot tall and 1.3 feet wide.
It is starting to vine, so it will only get bigger.
How should I design the terrarium?
How tall and wide should it be?
I would prefer not to have to move it out of the new terrarium, so it should be big enough for a fully grown Nepenthes ventricosa.
I, sadly, cannot put it in a greenhouse, because I do not have the space, time, or money to build or buy one.

Thank you so much!!!!
By cpman
what he means is cut off the main stem in other words take a stem cutting one question why dnt u want it outside????
By bananaman
I want it to flower, which is why I am NOT going to chop it up.
It is not outside, because my climate is terrible for neps (gets 100+ degrees EVERY SUMMER with 30% humidity, gets down to 23 EVERY WINTER with NO humidity).
I also want to see the upper pitchers, and I am starting to see the later intermediates!

Thanks for the ideas, but I REALLY need help with a design because every new leaf is so close to my light, that they are burning (IE brown spots all over leaf).
By cpman
I really cant help u wit terrariums cause I dnt use them cause nepenthes grow way too big as u are finding out. By the way I didnt mean outside the house I meant out side the terrarium in a windowsill in a west window is Ideal. If u are concerned about humidity pick up a humidifier on ebay but I dnt see why u need it cause ventricosa is very adaptable.If u were talking about lowland neps like ampullaria,bicalcarata,rafflesiana etc... I would really see ur point an example my N.rafflesiana is getting 86% humidity right now but for a ventricosa there is really no need.Hope this helped by the way I uploeded some pics in photos of other cps forum called "new pics of nepenthes".
By Astarift
tilt the whole plant? so it will have more place to grow? else if you cant grow it outside, dont expect for it to grow big
By Shes Crofty
a mini greenhouse would cost you 50 bucks, I'm not sure how designing a new terrarium would be cheaper unless you have a terrarium to use already.

I have seen a setup that is a glass aquarium on it's side, hot dog style. With the opening facing a wall. The back was cardboard and it had a light poking through it at the top. Kinda hard to explain..
Shes Crofty liked this
By cpman
SORRY banana neps grow indefinatly in other words they'll grow up forever buahahahaha :twisted: but,normally size will be a few feet I would go with a terrarium of 5 feet height and a diameter of 4 feet too you are lucky some nepenthes vines can grow up to 17+ feet high :lol:
cpman liked this
By Shes Crofty
bananaman wrote:I just need the dimensions of a fully grown ventricosa.
I understand your desgin, crofty, but height is my biggest concern now, and a hot dog style is short!
I've always been taught that hot dog style is long way goes upward, and hamburger is sideways, cause that's how you see it when you eat it. Well, if hamburger style is the long way, then I meant hamburger style!
diyglass.jpg
diyglass.jpg (7.71 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
So I've seen a setup where the aquarium is standing like this, the top view facing the wall. I just saw a picture of it, no specifics or anything.
Shes Crofty liked this
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!