FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Shimizoki
I don't have my dads camera today so there is nothing I can do picture wise:

Ok so all my plants were nice and green and putting up new traps and everything was looking great. Yesterday I go outside and notice that both the Pings out there had shriveled up and looked horrible. My Flytraps which were growing well seemed to have stop mid way when putting up the traps (half developed traps just aren't growing anymore). Nearly every pitcher on nearly every Sarr was browning. Of the 30ish plants outside 20 of them just decided to try and die over night.

So thinking it must have been really hot yesterday (I didn't notice that it was) I went ahead and watered them. (The did feel a bit on the light side) I then went inside and found that the 2 Pings inside were near dead, as well as the 10 baby drosera. I mean really... I have no idea what just happened that caused a total of about 50% of my plants to die almost over night.

It couldn't have been environmental since it effected both inside and outside plants. I tested my water and it is still at 12ppm so that can't be it. The medium wasn't warm. The only thing I could think of was that the plants were a bit light, I assume that a full watering every 3 days with a heavy misting every morning just caught up to them? I don't know... that seems like a lot of water they would be going through. It can't be not enough light cause its always bright outside, it cant be too much light cause the plants have been out there for over a week now without the slightest bit of sunburn.

I realize without pics diagnosis is hard, but you can see the setup they have if you glance through my Update thread in my Sig.
Last edited by Shimizoki on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Daniel_G
When did your plants get into their current soil, and what is it's PPM?
By Shimizoki
They are in the same peat/perlite mixture from before. I have not re-potted them or anything like that.

I assume you mean the ppm of my water, I don't know how to get the ppm of dirt... if that's the case it was registering at 12.
By Daniel_G
No, i meant dirt ;) I did read the post before replying :lol:

I have found that one very light day (Extremely strong light levels too) Can have that affect on plants. I've had it on iside plants, but never outside surprisingly. My only way to counter it is to use the tray method. You would be very surprised how quickly midday sun can dry up water.

All i can advise to grow them as you usually would, and maybe use the tray method for some of your plants.
Good luck!
Daniel_G liked this
By Grey
My assumption for the pings would be overwatering, which is easily done. If they are Mexican Pinguicula they appear to prefer less water than other carnivorous plants and do not like having wet leaves for long periods of time; they are also very susceptable to rot although the rot would cause the leaves to slowly perish, as far as I know. Cold Temperate Pinguicula dislike warm temperatures and can rapidly decline in health if subjected to temperatures outside their comfort zone.

As for the drosera, I would say the watering could be the issue here as well. It does seem very odd that your plants would crash so suddenly, however you may also find the misting + bright light caused scorching. Scorching can cause leaves to completely die off and shrivel up, they are often crispy to the touch; this can happen suddenly.

Other than that I'm not sure what to tell you. I hope we figure this out and can prevent it happening again in future.
Grey liked this
By Shimizoki
Thanks Grey, I have a Panfolia (?), and another one we think starts with a C... Caerula(?) maybe? I don't know.
I only mist in the early morning when the sun is still very low in the sky, its usually dry before they get to full sun.

I want to doubt its root rot since all the cups felt so light, I would have thought not enough water before it was over watering.

My only problem with it being to bright is that it affected both inside and outside plants. The inside plants only got morning sun through a East facing window.
By Grey
If you mean P. Planifolia and P. Caerulea, those are Warm Temperate Pinguicula; I've always had trouble keeping this variety of pinguicula alive. They prefer to be wetter than other species and some don't mind being flooded occasionally; as for temperatures they seem to do well in similar conditions to Mexican varieties (betwen 20 and 25°C (68 - 77°F)). Due to their submergable nature I wouldn't think the issue is rot however it shouldn't be ruled out entirely.

Warm Temperate Pinguicula are short-lived, but with your drosera stressing at the same time I don't think it's a mere coincidence. I am beginning to wonder if it may have actually been underwatering as pinguicula have very short roots, and since you said the pots felt light you may find the water never reached the roots. I've noticed these types of pinguicula seem very susceptable to dehydration and you stating you felt the need to water quite regularly may be an indicator. Hmm.

Have you tried sticking your finger in the soil to check the moisture levels at different depths?
Grey liked this
By Shimizoki
I have and it was a bit moist down in the cup, but dry up top. Since they have shallow roots that might be the problem.
Also its 95 degrees here, could it be too hot for them?
By Grey
That does seem rather warm. It could be a mixture of dryness and overheating; it is somewhat difficult to say without photographs but as you are unable to provide them I would say the issue was likely dehydration. Nothing has caused my pinguicula to crash faster in the past than not enough water - luckily I have a decent watering schedule and shallow containers to aid in preventing it in future. Perhaps a shallower container would do any future pings the world of good?

I'm not still 100% certain but this seems to be the most likely cause.
Grey liked this
By Shimizoki
Sorry Grey, still no camera. Maybe I can describe them?

Rather than the bright, light green they usually are, they are a much darker green. They are also curling in long ways and looking rather wilted.

Droseras just look dead :(
By RL7836
Shimizoki wrote:... it cant be too much light cause the plants have been out there for over a week now without the slightest bit of sunburn.
How long have the plants been outside in this location (a week is not very long)? Also - what size pots are the plants in?

You mentioned 95*F and somewhat dry on top ---I suspect strongly that your plants got dehydrated. While I hate having my plants constantly sit in water, in the middle of the summer, I have no choice. We are now having 100*F days and if I do not have the pots sitting in water in the morning, some will be dried out by late afternoon.

Also, I can't even keep small 2.5" pots out in the sun unless they are in a large tray of water. With just a small pot and small amount of water, they could be dried up & dead before 2 pm ... :o
RL7836 liked this
By Matt
RL7836 wrote:How long have the plants been outside in this location (a week is not very long)? Also - what size pots are the plants in?
I agree with RL7836. Sunburn can sometimes take 2 to 3 weeks or longer to fully show effect.
Matt liked this
By Shimizoki
I think the problem as I kinda hinted in the first few posts was that they didn't get enough water.

My theory is that a heavy watering once every 4 days is a bit to far apart in this weather, I have since changed it to once every 3 days. All of the VFTs that looked a bit sickly have got some color back in them, as have most of the Sarrs. Its those dang Pings and baby Drosera that just wont come back nicely... I've been battling with them since day one to figure out a proper watering schedule.

I will see if I need to switch to the tray method. I'll gather up some materials and do a test run for comparison sake.

Note:
Finally a new leaf on my Nep is forming... I think it might make it.

Thanks everyone.
Also as a side note I have some things going on in my family right now, sorry I haven't been on much recently, and I still wont be over the next few weeks. My mother has been hospitalized and she has some really serious problems.
By Grey
Best of luck with the reviving! I've found the tray method to be the best, easiest and fastest way to get water directly to the roots of my pinguicula! My drosera are in a trough so I use the tray method for them, too with good effect.

I am sorry to hear about your mother and hope she is well soon. We'll be here when you feel ready to return fully.

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!