FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By spruill771
I'll will be moving into a new house in Northeastern Florida (Middleburg,FL) some time this month. At my current house I have have my plants in two different terrariums under floresent lights. :| Although I'm not going to be able to use my floresent lights, and I can't place anything on a windowsill because a not enough light will pass through (we're going to be right up on a forest). I was hoping that some of you will be able to tell me how to grow the following plants outside:

Pings.
2 Mexican Butterwort (Pinguicula moranensis)-small
1 P. Planiflora- (Red Butterwort)-small

Droseras
1 Forked Sundew (Drosera binata)-T Form-small
1 Drosera aliciae - small

VFT's
1 Venus Flytrap-Typical-small
1 Venus Flytrap-Dente-small
1 Venus Flytrap-Red Dragon-small

Sarracenias
1 Yellow Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia flava)-medium
1 White-topped Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia leucophylla)-small
1 Purple Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia Pupurea)

Genliseas
1 Genlisea lobata x violacea-small clump

Utricularia
1 Utricularia gibba-small clump
1 Utricularia follisocis-small clump

Darlingtonias
1 Dalingtonia Californica

Nep.
1 N.Alata
1 N.Miranda

Heliamphora
1 Heliamphora Minor

Coming Soon:
1 Cephalotus follicularis
1 Byblis liniflora

P.S. I am going to really need help on the Heliamphora and Cephalotuses. I have already lost two sets trying to grow them outside. :cry:
By dantt99
Flytraps will grow fine outside :D
The Ceph, make sure to keep it relatively dry, and never overwater it.
The Heli, well it needs to stay moist/wet and likes humidity.
Drosera, Sarrs, and Darlingtonia should be fine outdoors.
Byblis isn't too picky, it should be fine :D

Good luck!
dantt99 liked this
By spruill771
Thanks, but I need more specific reqirements. Like which plants need watering trays and which plants need daily or twice daily misting. I'd also like to know how all the plants would do in Northeastern Florida temp. and humidity. I know the reason I lost my Heliamphora and Ceph last time was because of high temp. and low humidity. I also need to know how to treat my tropical plants (Heliamphoras, Cephs, Droseras, Neps.) during the winter time. I heard that all tropical CP's need to be kept at ABOUT the same temp. and humidity all year-round. I'd also like to know how much light/shade to give my plants as well.
By Shimizoki
I'm in central florida...

Its raining enough here to where I don't water my plants outside. If it didn't rain the day before I heavily mist them. Every 3-4 days if it hasn't rained that whole time I will drench them using the top down method. Fill them till they drip out the bottom.

Outside I have my VFT, Pings, Sarrs, Drosera. All of which are in 16oz styrofoam cups in partial shade. (Full sun during the AM, 70-90% sun in the PM)

I don't have a ceph or heli so I can't help you there.
My nep came to me in a bad place... I am doing my best to bring it back to life. It lost all its pitchers, but the leaves look great.
Shimizoki liked this
By spruill771
Wow, thanks !!!!!!
Goes to figure I having promblems growing North American CP's Outdoors and have my Nephs thriving, while you have your Norht American CP's thriving while your Nephs. are failing. LOL
Thanks Shimizoki!!!!!!!!!

Now if anyone has any informant on growing tropical CP's outside during the winter months or have any information about growing Heliamphora and Cephs outside, please post a reply.........
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!