FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
I just took some pics real quick of this VFT,

This is a VFT typical growing in all silica sand in a 6-inch pot, i bought it back in april from lowes, the traps were exactly by that time half inch, considering how much time have passed and how much it takes for VFT's to produce big traps, i think growing VFT's in all silica sand would be very beneficial and you can expect more bigger traps, not to mention the coloration is much better, from all the green VFT's i currently have, this one has a strong green coloration while others have that light green color.
Back in april traps measure:
half inch

Today July 3, 2011 traps measure:
1 inch.

I measure 5 traps, and they are even bigger 1-inch 1/16.
Compare to my B52 which is growing in silica sand and peat moss the largest trap is just 1-inch just about the same as this typical which was from lowes and didn't came from the FTS.

I know this experiment have been done before, and i can prove like others that growing VFT's in all silica sand gives a better result than growing in a mix of silica and peat.

Bad things about growing them in all silica sand, you must use a tray, and don't let it dry until there's not water in it.

Good thing- you can almost fill completely the pot with water and even the VFT can be cover in the water, the evaportation is far more greater, so floodings will be good sometimes, more coloration, and bigger traps!

So next time you buy a B52 or any other plant from the FTS, putting it in all silica sand would be even better, and the traps might be even bigger. I wish i could try it but i'm running out of silica sand :(

Some pictures:
This is the biggest trap:

I noticed this little bug in my B52, what is it, it looks like a spider mite, if so( i hope not), i will have to buy a pesticide right? i hope is just a small bug!

By jht-union
Dubstep13 wrote:Duuuuude im going to get Silica right now!
what if u do 3parts silica 1part peat? will that still give me big traps/
but is it worth going trough all that water though?
hmm. silica has NO nutrients at all correct?
Well, it all depends on location, althought the top dries faster, i only water that VFT whenever i water the other VFT's, and it stays fairly moist even if i don't water in 4 days(well not really moist because silica sand can't retain water), why i mean location, because humidity stays fairly high most of the times, and even when is not it lasts for a short period of time so i'm not having real problems with it.

Silica sand doesn't have a thing other than silica sand ;)
So yes, it doesn't have any nutrients. I think the aerier the soil the better, because silica sand allows the roots and rhizome to breath it also keeps it wet, since is white, it reflects light, so the roots and rhizome stays fresh and at a stable temperature.

Hope this helps!
By Steve_D
Yes, that looks like a mite. But most mites around plants are soil mites (there are I think hundreds of species, including mites that eat other mites) and those are harmless to the plant. however, if it colonizes the leaves and begins to lay eggs on the leaves, then it is a destructive mite and you should kill it when you can. :)
By jht-union
Steve_D wrote:Yes, that looks like a mite. But most mites around plants are soil mites (there are I think hundreds of species, including mites that eat other mites) and those are harmless to the plant. however, if it colonizes the leaves and begins to lay eggs on the leaves, then it is a destructive mite and you should kill it when you can.
:( i have seen quiet a few white smaller mites moving in the soil a lot, specially close to the center of the plant, i'm guessing they use it for refugee and they hide under the leaves for protection.

I think the ones i'm mentioning are the ones that are harmless to the plant, but just to be sure, i will be posting pictures of some flytraps tomorrow and i'll try to get the back part of the leaves as well, and some of the mites. Is the first time i see them and i hope is nothing bad.

I think i should be getting a weak pesticide or miticide of some sort, just to spray my plants one time, i will probably use a very weak solution mix with water. Does miticide have an effect on the growth of VFT's or any other plant?
The near-by lowes i have has miticides and pesticides, any brand reccomended, or anything it shouldn't have or that i should look for?
( i will be posting pictures first time in the morning, and i will be waiting for answers regarding pesticides and miticides, i'll go ASAP to lowes depending on what you guys(or Steve) reccomend.

Thank you! :)
By jamez
It's not growing in silica sand that makes plants have bigger traps, it's the drainage. You will have the same results as jht-union if you provide you provide an average sized or large trapped venus flytrap with a lot of drainage and aeration.
By Nats
More sand means having to water a lot more often.
I have a mix with about 1/3 sand and have to water every day when it's really hot and the sun is very bright.
So just be careful not to let them dry out ;)

As for the idea that potting in 100% sand produces larger traps then, say 50/50 peat and sand, well, I would need
more evidence before I would believe it ;)

Depending on where you are, I think you should be able to get great aeration with 50/50.
By victor
Yeah i've seen those mites around some of my flowers and shrubs.
A few is okay but when there are lots of them they become desturctive pests
and a spary of insectisicide is needed
By jht-union
Oblivion wrote:the sand will probably get a lot hotter during summer heatwaves.
Yes, but if it is kep with a tray with water, then there's no need to worry about anything i guess! :)
By jht-union
Oblivion wrote:ever walked on hot sand at the beach
i guess if you keep the water level real high it might be ok but then you risk root rot.
I can see why you're saying this.
Oblivion wrote:i guess it depends how hot your summers are too.
Summers here are weird like any other season in the east coast of USA(since 2008 it has been crazy), 2009 only went to about 100F, 2010 we had tons of heat waves so it went up to 115F. And well summer is just starting, so no idea how it will be, my guess is even hotter than last year, weeks ago was 103F outside, so i should expect temps to climb to at least 120F this summer, also one other thing to mention is that humidity is pretty much high always, except in heat waves when it deeps to the lower teens, but that's very rarely, even with heat waves humidity stays around 30%. But i will be paying attention if i see any change or something. for the most part is going really well, and i haven't had any issues with it! :)

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!