FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Andrew
If you are reading this post, it either means that you are having trouble with the forum, or are just a curious newbie. If you are, I would like to welcome you to the FlyTrapCare community, where you will get all the help you need, or maybe even help out some others.

If you are just beginning, you may want to personalize your profile a bit so that some members can get to know you a bit more easily, in the case that you need help and more info is required. ( e.g. Your fly trap is sickly from climate ).

If you are having trouble seeing any of the images, you can click the magnifying glass in the top left corner to make the image larger.

PERSONALIZING YOUR PROFILE
First of all, you can add something to your signature to personalize it a bit, maybe say something about your plants, or even something about yourself.
a) Click your user control panel at the top-right of your webpage.
b) Click the tab on your user control panel that says profile.
c) Click the sub-section that says Edit signature.

ADDING YOUR LOCATION! IMPORTANT!

Secondly, you may want to add a bit more personal information to your profile, like your gender, your birthday, your occupation and interests, and what area you live in. I cannot stress the importance of your location enough, because if another member is to help you, and they do not know what climate region you live in, it makes it more difficult to help.
a)Click your user control panel at the top-right of your webpage.
b) Click the tab on your user control panel that says profile.
c) Once your at this point, you will automatically be at the tab edit profile, where you will have to click please proceed to Community Page to update your profile information.
d) You will be at a page where you can change all of your information. You can go ahead and fill them out accordingly, and at the bottom, you can click save.

POSTING PHOTOS

Thirdly, when posting on the forum, you may want to add some pictures. It is pretty straight forward, but there are two ways to do this. I will show either way here.
The first way, is done by using the forums' image uploader.
a) When in your topic creator, click the Upload Attachement tab at the bottom of your webpage.
b) Once you get the view where you can select a file, click on Choose...
c) After clicking that, a new window will pop-up that you can select your file from. Click the file you want, and hit open.
The second way, is done by using an external image hosting site. This way is a bit more tough, but saves the site a little bit of space.
a) Find your image hosting website. I use TinyPic. Upload your photo, and get the forum code so you can copy it and paste it onto the forum.
b) When posting your image, make sure it appears something like this in your topic :

USING THE FORUM SEARCH

Fourthly, there is a function on the site that not many people utilize before posting. This function is the search function. If you use the search function, you may be able to save yourself the time from posting another topic. It is one of the easiest functions to use, so I will only need to post one photo.
a) When on any part of the forum, take a glance to the top right of your web page. You will see a small box, that says Search... inside of it. You can write anything you need inside of this box, making it easy to find what you need.

THANKING OTHER MEMBERS

Fifthly, if you have received help from another member, I'm sure they wouldnt mind if you thanked them. This can be done quite easily.
a) Look to the top right of the members post. There will be a small button that says THANKS. Its as simple as clicking this button to thank another member.

FINDING YOUR POSTS

Sixthly, sometimes when you post a thread or comment, it may get buried by others. There is an easy fix to this, and it can be found below.
a) Look to the top of your page, and look for a button that says "View your posts". Just click this, and you'll get a list of everything you have posted.

CREATING LINKS

Seventhly, linking words, or perhaps adding a link is often useful. How to do so in two methods are shown below.
The first method:
a) So, the quickest and easiest way to add a link, is just to copy and paste it to the post editor. Simple enough, no photos required.
The second, and more complicated method:
a) Find where you want to hyperlink text, and highlight it. (Shown in an orange box)
b) After highlighting your text, click the URL tag button. (Represented by a red circle.)
c) Find your tag. It should look something like this when done. Where there is a yellow line, click your cursor there as if you were to insert something.
d) Add the following into the tag, just as you see it:
Code: Select all
( Change http://www.YOURLINKHERE.com with the actual link)

If anybody has any questions, or any problems with anything within this guide, feel free to write a post with your problem/concerns!
Last edited by Andrew on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:57 am, edited 10 times in total.
Andrew, Andrew, Andrew and 13 others liked this
By Matt
Thanks very much for taking the time to write this up Andrew!

I want to reiterate the extreme importance of Andrew's second point:
crushingandy wrote:Secondly, you may want to add a bit more personal information to your profile, like your gender, your birthday, your occupation and interests, and maybe what area you live in.
PLEASE ENTER THE AREA YOU LIVE IN!!! It's very difficult to answer many questions that people post if they don't mention where in the world they live.
By Andrew
Still a work in progress Matt. Since I'm not too knowledgeable in the carnivorous plant area yet, I thought I would help out in another way.
By linton
Good job Andrew, I was fortunate enough to find FlytrapCare when it was in it's infancy and have been able to adapt to the additions and changes as they have been added by Matt. If I had only recently joined I may have been a bit overwhelmed by all the options that are now available. Your guide will prove very helpful to both new and existing members - keep up the good work!
By afh928
yeah, this could be a bit overwhelming for a newbie, definitely. Great idea to post a "gateway" for the new blood! :mrgreen:
By dionaea muscipula
you should tell them about the "View your posts" option, it helps a lot! very nice and informative to the newbies.
By jht-union
I was wondering about the save forums that i saved before, i was writing something, i saved it, and i never found it, does anyone know where can i find the forum i was writing?

Thanks!!
By Andrew
jht-union wrote:I was wondering about the save forums that i saved before, i was writing something, i saved it, and i never found it, does anyone know where can i find the forum i was writing?

Thanks!!
If you actually posted it, it would be under the "View your posts" tab at the top of your page. If not, it would be under "User Control Panel", then "Manage Drafts"
By jht-union
crushingandy wrote:
jht-union wrote:I was wondering about the save forums that i saved before, i was writing something, i saved it, and i never found it, does anyone know where can i find the forum i was writing?

Thanks!!
If you actually posted it, it would be under the "View your posts" tab at the top of your page. If not, it would be under "User Control Panel", then "Manage Drafts"

Oh, thank you very much crushingandy!=D
jht-union liked this
By Andrew
jht-union wrote:
crushingandy wrote:

Thanks!!

Oh, thank you very much crushingandy!=D
No problem jht-union!
By Andrew
Hello everyone. I am glad to see that this is still on the forum! If any of the links are broken, please message me via PM and I will repost them once I drop in. ( Which will hopefully be a little bit more often. )
By Andrew
Shimizoki wrote:Very nice guide. Maybe you could do something about hyperlinking text.
Done. Hope you guys find the newer addition useful.
By Shimizoki
Yea very nice. I Find it a bit annoying when I look at people links and the stretch across 2 lines. The guide grows, and its thorough. Great job.
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!