FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By afh928
So i just got this pitcher plant a week or so ago. I took it from the nursery, put it in a clay pot, realized my mistake, repotted it in this lovely little 4" glazed pot in 100% sphagnum peat, top watered moist not soggy, sun all day long. I lost 1 new growth when i repotted, and as you can see there is 1 more new shoot. The 2 that are big were already present when i bought it and they just seem kind of...mediocre. You can see at the base where there was other growth, some were dead so i trimmed it down. All the media, conditions, etc. are perfect..i just don't know what to expect out of this little guy. I want it to do well, so pics are below...let me know what you think, any suggestions i will take! I need to know when to expect growth, if i need to cut off the existing growth, and pretty much everything. I have my VFTs under control and they are thriving...now it is this ones turn! HELP!
Attachments:
pitcher2.jpg
pitcher2.jpg (14.15 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
pitcher1.jpg
pitcher1.jpg (15.28 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
By Aging_Bourbon
Just give them proper care and they should be alright.. don't really get to worried or panic im pretty sure if you give them the right conditions they'll come back..

allen,
By afh928
Great, i think i will just leave them alone and let nature do what it does best. The conditions are perfect, i think i just worry too much. These plants are in such crappy shape at these stores, it makes bringing them home kind of tense for a while. I'm gonna start ordering online from now on, i want a cape Sundew like crazy!
By nealfor
If you were to repot it, consider going with a 50/50 peat/sand mix. It is what I use and my purps haven't complained at all. I live near you and could probably hook you up with a cape leaf pulling that you could probably sprout in water if you're interested in trying that out. Let me know.
By afh928
that would be great, i'll send you a message to your profile with my #...give me a call, i would LOVE to get that from you. It would save me alot of time and $$$ ordering online. Call me asap, i'd like to get it going this season. Thanks man!
By Aging_Bourbon
afh928 wrote:that would be great, i'll send you a message to your profile with my #...give me a call, i would LOVE to get that from you. It would save me alot of time and $$$ ordering online. Call me asap, i'd like to get it going this season. Thanks man!
The best soil to use with Sarr would be the "Standard" soil mix (50% peat 50% perlite)
By afh928
Yeah, that is what i did for ALL my plants. I had a bad feeling about the pure peat i had them in and i decided that putting everyone through 1 more shcok would be better than leaving them in less than ideal media so i got a bag of perlite and did the deed. I would have done so initially but the nursery i get my supplies from was out of perlite. It seems that the new pitcher is groing well, i assume Sarrs are slow growers, but it does seem to be getting bigger. My VFTs are just so prolific that i guess i expected the same out of the sarr and i think it is just a slower growing species.
N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!