FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By colby100
I started some drosera dielsiana seeds on May 19 and ive done everything right theve never dried out theve always been moist and its been 5 weeks are they going to sprout also a little bit of white mold or whatever is starting to grow is that effecting the seeds if its not ontop of them and how do i stop the white stuff. i have a plastic wrap over them i even opened it a little to let fresh air in and water evaporate. Also i noticed some green kinda slimy looking stuff in there but i didnt touch it but its kinda shiny and there growing in all my pots is that the sprouts?
Last edited by colby100 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By markus13
Did you get the drosera dielsiana seed from FTS? If you did they should be sprouting by now, so maybe you didn't do everything right. I got some from the FTS and planted them in early May. I noticed sprouts within 2 weeks, but keep in mind that the seed is very small, so the sprouts will be super small too. In fact I had to use a magnifying glass to see them at first so maybe you do have sproutage and just don't realize it yet.
By Shimizoki
I'm not sure as to why they have not germinated... however I would reach in and pick out all the mold that you can. Someone else had mold pop up on his germination today as well, thats what they did.
By sundewman
Hey colby,
Follow shimizoki's advice first and then you can try sprinkling a small amount of cinnamon on the surface of the soil and then tapping it down gently onto the surface with your fingers is supposed to help prevent mild algae and mold breakouts. Have not tried this myself, but I was just informed by a grower last week that it has worked well for her and others. Don't over-do it though.

But don't give up on the seeds. It's sometimes taken seeds (even easier ones) 2 months to germinate (my record is a year for D. ascendens that just germinated this spring).

If one variable isn't perfect, they can sometimes take longer like that. But i should find out your conditions- how much light are they getting? What are the temps in the day?
By colby100
sundewman wrote:Hey colby,
Follow shimizoki's advice first and then you can try sprinkling a small amount of cinnamon on the surface of the soil and then tapping it down gently onto the surface with your fingers is supposed to help prevent mild algae and mold breakouts. Have not tried this myself, but I was just informed by a grower last week that it has worked well for her and others. Don't over-do it though.

But don't give up on the seeds. It's sometimes taken seeds (even easier ones) 2 months to germinate (my record is a year for D. ascendens that just germinated this spring).

If one variable isn't perfect, they can sometimes take longer like that. But i should find out your conditions- how much light are they getting? What are the temps in the day?
i use 2 cfls that are around 60 watt i was using these other lights that made it hot and humid under the plastic but when i switched it got alot cooler under the plastic
By colby100
Never mind i have 2 sprouts hoping to see more soon i think most of the seeds got covered in algea but 1 pot didnt get infested and has 2 sprouts
Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!