FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By SnapSnapIOM
Just ordered my stuff here in the Uk :)

Few questions

First If am using PPM do i still have to use a pressure cooker i got told that i dont ?

Can i use RO water instead of Distilled ?

Bleach the only weak bleach i can find is saying 6% on the bottle nothing else added prefume etc (looks it water) I read 8% was the one to use but i cant find it here

Alcohol for sterilzing seems hard to find in the UK or can i use Hydrogen Peroxide ?

Is it 2.2grams of MS per litre ? this is what i have ordered https://micro-science.co.uk/plant-agar-80g.html I have digital scales so i just measure 2.2grams ? it doesnt seem alot lol

Last question

When you have finish the TC process can i put them under my T5 lights ? just wondering at what distance from lights is best ?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Andy
By Matt
SnapSnapIOM wrote:First If am using PPM do i still have to use a pressure cooker i got told that i dont ?
I've read that you don't have to as well, but I've never tried it without a pressure cooker.
SnapSnapIOM wrote:Can i use RO water instead of Distilled ?
Yes.
SnapSnapIOM wrote:Bleach the only weak bleach i can find is saying 6% on the bottle nothing else added prefume etc (looks it water) I read 8% was the one to use but i cant find it here
6% sodium hyperchlorite is what I use as well.
SnapSnapIOM wrote:Alcohol for sterilzing seems hard to find in the UK or can i use Hydrogen Peroxide ?
Alcohol is a good surfactant. You don't absolutely need it though. I use both alcohol and H2O2.
SnapSnapIOM wrote:Is it 2.2grams of MS per litre ?
That will give you just over 50% MS and will work for Dionaea and Sarracenia. I'd use less for Drosera.
SnapSnapIOM wrote:When you have finish the TC process can i put them under my T5 lights ? just wondering at what distance from lights is best ?
There isn't a need for much light, so you don't want to keep them too close to the T5s.
By SnapSnapIOM
Thx Matt for the reply

Am still not sure about the MS process sorry

Sorry for sounding dumb lol

i put in the wrong link for the MS https://micro-science.co.uk/murashige-a ... amins.html Reading it again it actually says enough for 1 litre and i read the container it contains 4.4grams

so i use 2.2grams in 1 litre then i take 1/3 of this mix to use? which i then take to 1 litre using RO water ?
By BradR
SnapSnapIOM wrote: so i use 2.2grams in 1 litre then i take 1/3 of this mix to use? which i then take to 1 litre using RO water ?
If you did that you would have 1/6MS. (1/2 X1/3=1/6)

Full strength MS basal salts have 4.3 grams per liter. The vitamins add a little more weight, so that is where they get 4.4g.
That link you posted is for a 1 liter of full strength MS (1xMS), so dissolve all of it in 1 liter of water, then dilute 2:1 for 1/2MS or 3:1 for 1/3MS.

You will also be diluting your vitamins, but that is OK for most CP cultures.

Good Luck,
Brad
By BradR
SnapSnapIOM wrote:
That means 330ml ish of the full strength then i bring that upto 1 litre yes ?
That is correct.

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!