FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By bnut1980
i have a couple VFT plants that are growing 2 traps on one leaf is there a reason they are doing this the plant is really healthy and its on more than one leaf
By Steve_D
Double trapped leaves is a fairly common anomaly. I've had 2-3 plants this year on which I've noticed double trapped leaves. Several years ago I noticed a leaf that split into two halfway up, and each of the two halves produced two traps, for a total of 4 traps on one leaf. It happens. Kind of neat when it does. Post a photo if you can. :-)
By bnut1980
thanks Steve ill get a pic up later it is cool i know alot of ppl heard of this i got to see it first hand but theres no real reason for this? like extreme weather change bad water or some just do it either way i not going to feed those double traps i want them to be there for as long as i can
By Shimizoki
Steve_D wrote:Several years ago I noticed a leaf that split into two halfway up, and each of the two halves produced two traps, for a total of 4 traps on one leaf.
Thats just freakish...
By Steve_D
That looks really neat in the photo, bnut1980. The leaf not only has two traps, but two separated veins in the petiole about halfway up. Very interesting.
bnut1980 wrote:but theres no real reason for this?
Personally, I attribute it to the fact that Venus Flytraps are kind of primitive plants in a way. Each plant is more like a colony of separate single-leafed plants, and the Flytrap as a whole has no stalk and no true growing crown that acts as intermediate tissue between underground and above ground growth, but instead just a bunch of leaves stuck in the ground, each of which often produces its own roots. It seems prone to growth anomalies such as double-headed leaves and false vivipary, as well as vigorous stem-cell type growth after the temporary stall in leaf growth as a flowerstalk is produced, which makes a callus like in tissue culture. Sometimes weird looking traps emerge from that blobby lump of tissue that signals vigorous new growth after flowering. Just another of the strange things I like about Venus Flytraps. :D
By Nats
Shimizoki wrote:
Steve_D wrote:Several years ago I noticed a leaf that split into two halfway up, and each of the two halves produced two traps, for a total of 4 traps on one leaf.
Thats just freakish...

Yeah freaky stuff like that gives me the creeps! LOL!! :shock:
By Shimizoki
Darkrai283 wrote:
Shimizoki wrote:Thats very neat. There is a website trying to sell an Akai Ryu like that for 100 dollars.
OMG! They're still trying to sell that hocus pocus!
I just stopped questioning... people are stupid.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!