FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Announcements, as well as comments and suggestions about the FlytrapCare Forum itself. For all Forum members.

Moderator: Matt

By afh928
So...As you may know, I had all my plants potted in 100% sphagnum peat moss. The nursery where i buy supplies had run out of perlite when i got started (and all the department/home stores have is that Miracle Gro poison), so i figured it would be ok. As you also may know, i had to repot a bit when i first got started cause i DID have that Miracle Gro poison initially...then i put my pitcher plant in a clay pot, etc...so they had been through a bit. After reading up a bunch on the subject yesterday i cam to the only conclusion that made sense to me...the 100% sphagnum peat was not gonna fly. Here's why:

1) It would retain too much heat (my plants get a ton of sun here in Zone 8, alot of it is direct as well).
2)It would not provide enough drainage
3)It would not allow enough air to reach the roots
4)It would pack down REALLY tight and choke the roots esentially.

So i went to the nursery who had restocked...and got myself some perlite. I also took about a 5" pot full of long fiber sphagnum and chopped it up super fine. I took all my plants out of their pots and dumped the peat into a big plastic bowl. Then i added the chopped LFS and mixed thoroughly. Then i added perlite until the mix was 50/50 and mixed it up to perfection.

Now EVERYTHING has the right soil, the right water, and the right light. I kept my leaf clippings in the all peat mix for now, once they take and grow a bit i will transplant into a pot with the 50/50 mix.

So what is the point to me telling you all this? Well, i have a pretty good feeling that this might shock the poor little guys a bit, and i bet they won't be too happy for a few days. BUT..once the shock wears off they will be in absolutely sublime growing conditions. They were doing pretty good in the all peat, each plant showing new growth at a fairly rapid rate...but i had the worst feeling that leaving them in all peat just wouldnt be a good idea. So, rather than wait, i figured i would get everything right while they were still probably adjusting to life outside of the store they came from.

My only worry is..Do you think this was TOO much shock for them or do you think they will be just fine? This makes the 3rd time i have had to repot for some, 2nd for the others, within about a month (all fairly close together). As per usual, alot of traps got dirt in them and i accidentally snapped a small new growth or two in the process...but i think that in the long run this was the best decision to make. Let me know your thoughts, hopefully i did the right thing!
By Steve_D
They should be fine. It's better to repot them sooner, rather than to let them become accustomed to and comfortable in one medium, only to be ripped out right when they were just beginning to grow well. It's better to do all the repotting close together in time. But when well grown and with a good repotting technique and skill, it's possible to repot Flytraps several times during the year without harm. If you do it well, they seem to hardly notice at all.

Anyway, don't worry. I'll bet they do just fine, and I think they will appreciate the airier medium. :)
By afh928
yeah, i have already noticed my technique improving since i first potted them. Most people probably don't know it but there is a hell of alot of skill involved in taking care of these plants. I love it, i spent a couple hours today getting the mix right, cleaning the plants, getting them ready, potting, etc. It's like zen to me. Thanks man, i think theyll be fine too.
By kevinqwe
that sounds really good.
if there isnt drainage what can happen?
By afh928
ok, i think i know this...i shall venture to answer my 1st question on Flytrapcare.com, lol....

Without proper drainage your media will stay too wet, and media that is too wet for too long can cause rotting. Rotting is not good, of course, so...you want to make sure you achieve proper drainage! Perlite helps the water flow more freely through your media by breaking it up, and it also helps more air get to where it counts...the roots.

Good answer?! :)
By lemonlily
Great answer!
By afh928
Muchos gracias Lil!
By lemonlily
Sorry? I don't know this language... What is it?
By lemonlily
Okay, thanks. But what does it mean?
By Adam
google it. it means thank you very much.
By lemonlily
Yes, but I like it better when people tell me rather then always telling me Google is my friend. I wouldn't have came here, if I found all the answers on Google.
By NZL
lemonlily wrote:Yes, but I like it better when people tell me rather then always telling me Google is my friend. I wouldn't have came here, if I found all the answers on Google.
And how did you find this site? :P
By afh928
jeez, i didnt know my innocuous spanish thank you would illicit such heated exchange, lol.
By lemonlily
NZL wrote:
lemonlily wrote:Yes, but I like it better when people tell me rather then always telling me Google is my friend. I wouldn't have came here, if I found all the answers on Google.
And how did you find this site? :P
Oh, I asked many many questions on Yahoo, and Matt answered many many of my questions. Then I came because he sounded nice. And I figured he is! Took me a few minutes to figure out how to use the forum thing. It was quite confusing.

I don't always use Google, I would rather have someone tell me things. And I get a bit mad or upset when all people say is, "Google it" or "here: [hands me the Wikipedia.]" I talk a lot sometimes, and its great to be here, but sometimes, I'm not in the mood to talk. Or type rather.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!