FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By bnut1980
i received my 2 fangs and 3 czech giants yesterday and as i was gently opening the package i took the paper towel off the roots i noticed the flower stock was already cut witch is no biggie never let any of my VFT to flower not ready yet for the seed thing but anyways the plant ended up splitting on me is this a good thing? but just wanted to say i am very very happy with my order and will now only order from flytrapstore thanks Steve for the wonderful plants
By Steve_D
I always cut flowerstalks on plants intended for sale and shipping, to reduce the stress on the plant so that it will begin to grow well once it arrives. Otherwise, the plant would support the flowerstalk at the expense of the leaves and after a few leaves died (normal when transplanting before the roots become accustomed to the new medium) may not be left with much for continued growth and good health. So unless one wishes to encourage the possibility that flowering and trying to produce seed might be a Venus Flytrap's last act before it dies, it's usually better in my opinion to cut flowerstalks off any Venus Flytrap except for mature, well established ones that have not recently been transplanted. Just my opinion.

Regarding "splitting," those are just natural divisions, separate growing points or crowns. You could plant them together in the same hole, or space them out giving each their own place in a pot. Each of the divisions will grow into a full, mature plant.
Steve_D liked this
By bnut1980
thanks for the great info Steve. i ended up placing all the divisions in separate holes i ended up running out of room in my pots i guess i was expecting smaller plants cant wait until i order more in a couple weeks.If i could put them in same holes then i guess it dosent matter how close i put them together but all are about 2-3 inches away from each other?
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!