FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Nats
Looked everywhere! no one has real course silica sand!!!

I know I can use perlite, but I still want some silica sand.

I know some of you folks have bought the stuff by the 100lb bags! LOL!!

If I only had 5lb's I would be happy :D

Would one of you fine folks please sell me some sand, please :oops:

I would be glee stricken to pay you well for it, I know the shipping will be alot.

I live in College Park, MD (20740), so if you can part with some of your sand, lets get together :)
By dantt99
I'd love to! I have medium grade, so it's not quite as fat as others, but this stuff still works great for aeration as by silica sand.
I can give 2 options. The obvious best way to ship something heavy as this would be to use USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes. So if you want me to send you a small box filled with sand, it'll be 8 bucks and for a medium box it'll be 14. Let me know what you think, and I'd love to carry this out :D
dantt99, dantt99, dantt99 liked this
By Matt
Nats wrote:If I only had 5lb's I would be happy :D
You'd be surprised at how much the stuff weighs. You might only need 5 pounds, but it certainly wouldn't last very long. I go through 200 pounds every month or so.
Matt liked this
By David F
Does silica sand have labels on the grain size, I plan on getting another 100 pound bag soon, and would like to get the perfect stuff this time (my earlier stuff is a bit small?)
By Matt
David F wrote:Does silica sand have labels on the grain size
Yes. I typically use 20 grit because it's cheaper. But the 12 grit actually seems to work better at breaking up the soil more and promoting a healthier root system.
Matt liked this
By Nats
dantt99 wrote:I'd love to! I have medium grade, so it's not quite as fat as others, but this stuff still works great for aeration as by silica sand.
I can give 2 options. The obvious best way to ship something heavy as this would be to use USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes. So if you want me to send you a small box filled with sand, it'll be 8 bucks and for a medium box it'll be 14. Let me know what you think, and I'd love to carry this out :D

Thanks much, a medium box would be great for me to start while I continue my search for 50lb (or whatever) bags in my area.

How do we exchange info? Do you have a Paypal account? We could do it that way!?

Can we PM on this forum? I havent seen an option for PM's here! :?
By Nats
Matt wrote:
David F wrote:Does silica sand have labels on the grain size
Yes. I typically use 20 grit because it's cheaper. But the 12 grit actually seems to work better at breaking up the soil more and promoting a healthier root system.
How does that work, the grit size I mean?
Is the larger number the bigger grains, or is it the other way around? :? :oops:
By dantt99
Nats wrote:Thanks much, a medium box would be great for me to start while I continue my search for 50lb (or whatever) bags in my area.

How do we exchange info? Do you have a Paypal account? We could do it that way!?

Can we PM on this forum? I havent seen an option for PM's here! :?
Yes, a medium box sounds good!
About payment, I won't be able to accept payment on Paypal until next Thursday, so it would be quicker for you to send me a check. If you don't feel comfortable sending a check (or cash), I totally understand! It will just take much longer. Email me at dantt99@gmail.com , and we'll work it out.
Thanks!
By jamez
There are plenty places to get silica sand. You can use perlite too. I think most people want silica sand JUST BECAUSE it's just another ingredient people talk about. Perlite and silica sand are just as equal in my expereince.
The smaller the number the bigger the granule. Dantt99's sand is finer than perlite. Perlite is coarser than sand. Seems as people try to follow what Matt says, since he is a well-respected CP grower. If he didn't use silica sand, I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be so much rage for it. Just trying to get the point out that Perlite is Just as good ;)
By jht-union
Also there's leslies pool supplies, i buy my silica from them, they are located about some 30mins away from where i live, you will have to search wherever you live if you have a leslies pool supplies, or you can order online.

Here's the link:
http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Filters ... 14700.html

and here's a pic of that same silica sand:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/a-ver ... t9787.html

Good luck finding silica sand!

If you have a pool supplies near you, ask for silica sand, or filter sand, they might be able to help you out, and there in the second pic, the silica is being measure, so you can ask or look for an specific size. ;)
By Nats
jamez wrote:There are plenty places to get silica sand. You can use perlite too. I think most people want silica sand JUST BECAUSE it's just another ingredient people talk about. Perlite and silica sand are just as equal in my expereince.
The smaller the number the bigger the granule. Dantt99's sand is finer than perlite. Perlite is coarser than sand. Seems as people try to follow what Matt says, since he is a well-respected CP grower. If he didn't use silica sand, I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be so much rage for it. Just trying to get the point out that Perlite is Just as good ;)

LOL!! I agree with you about the pelite, I just happen to like the feel and look of the sand in the mix.

Perhaps your right, Matt is feeding the sand cult! :mrgreen:
but I think I would use it regardless ;)
By Nats
jht-union wrote:Also there's leslies pool supplies, i buy my silica from them, they are located about some 30mins away from where i live, you will have to search wherever you live if you have a leslies pool supplies, or you can order online.

Here's the link:
http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Filters ... 14700.html

and here's a pic of that same silica sand:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/a-ver ... t9787.html

Good luck finding silica sand!

If you have a pool supplies near you, ask for silica sand, or filter sand, they might be able to help you out, and there in the second pic, the silica is being measure, so you can ask or look for an specific size. ;)

Yep, I saw this place in my web search, there are no stores like this near me. Folks where I live do not own pools. Our summers and warm weather
are very short, not much incentive to make such an investment, then there's our outragous property taxes!! :shock:

The only option I have is horticultural sand, and I have no idea if it's pure silica or what.

Places in my area like Lowes, Home Depot, etc., sell only the tan colored play box sand with very fine grain.

Thanks for posting, but this place does not sell sand via their website. It's an in store item only. I guess it has to do with the outstanding shipping
they would have to charge!!
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!