FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Smiffy 9180
Posts:  4
Joined:  Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:35 pm
#102450
Hi, I was just wondering about Leaf Pulling and re-planting flower stalks, please could someone tell about these because I have absoloutely no idea and would like to give them a go!

Also i was wondering about seeds, because last year i took the seeds from my flower, when would be the best time to plant these? how long will they take to germinate? how long does it take until the seeds won't work because they have effectively died and won't germinate? should they be grown in the same kind of conditions as mature VFT's?

Thank-You,
Smiffy
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  20978
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#102464
Smiffy 9180 wrote:Hi, I was just wondering about Leaf Pulling and re-planting flower stalks, please could someone tell about these because I have absoloutely no idea and would like to give them a go!
Give this article a read. It should give you all the information you need. If you have more questions, feel free to ask:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/propagation- ... traps.html
Smiffy 9180 wrote:Also i was wondering about seeds, because last year i took the seeds from my flower, when would be the best time to plant these?
The best time to plant them is immediately after harvesting them. The longer you keep them, the lower the germination rate will be. But if they were stored properly (cool, dry place like the fridge), the germination rate can still be fairly high even after a year.
Smiffy 9180 wrote:how long will they take to germinate?
That depends on how well they were stored and what your germination conditions are. Under ideal conditions (moist and good warmth but not too hot so that they cook) seeds can germinate in as few as 10 to 15 days. If not kept moist and warm, germination can take much, much longer.
Smiffy 9180 wrote:how long does it take until the seeds won't work because they have effectively died and won't germinate?
I wouldn't give up on seeds until after 60 days or so. But the chance of germination is much lower if you don't see germination after the first 30 days.
Smiffy 9180 wrote:should they be grown in the same kind of conditions as mature VFT's?
They can be, depending on what conditions you grow your adult plants in. I usually avoid putting them in full sunlight because they can dry out or get too hot very easily because they're so shallow in the soil.

For more information, you might want to read this article:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/growing-venu ... seeds.html
Matt, Matt liked this

I don't have a problem with mice, but for other […]

it should get used to it overtime, though most peo[…]

VFTs In flowering, when to plant the Seed?

Aside from what some sources will say, Venus Flytr[…]

Trade

Apologies for the acronyms. In the CP forum we may[…]

Museum Project

Hi, I've got a terrarium going to help educate Gra[…]

if you could post a picture that would be very hel[…]

what a beautiful garden! if I could only have one […]

Schuppenstiel I

very attractive. I love the sturdy-looking pinkish[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!