FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tryingmybest
Hi everyone, I’m a beginner at keeping venus flytraps and just bought my first VFT a few days ago. I’ve been keeping my VFT in the yard to let it get enough sunlight.

However, this morning I woke up to a damaged VFT. Now I don’t have solid evidence of this, but I’m suspecting that the possums that hang out in my yard did this? I will look for a new, safer spot for it.

My questions for you guys are: is there a chance that my VFT can make a come back? If so, what are some things I can do to help it recover? Should I leave it alone or feed it a bug to give it more energy?

I’m located in the Brisbane area in Queensland, Australia, and it’s starting to get chillier here so there is also the added factor that my VFT may go into dormancy soon.

The photos are taken a day apart
Attachments:
20E68F88-E5D2-4847-A379-9DFA8ACFAB40.jpeg
20E68F88-E5D2-4847-A379-9DFA8ACFAB40.jpeg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 3996 times
2BF1F1C0-65EB-4813-BDE5-5770E5DCB9CD.jpeg
2BF1F1C0-65EB-4813-BDE5-5770E5DCB9CD.jpeg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 3996 times
By Panman
Looks fine to me. As long as they didn't dry out, they will be fine. I've had tree rats, aka squirrels, uproot several of my flytraps and pitchers. I think I got to most of them quick enough to save them. I did have a drosera aliceae go missing because of those pests.
MikeB, tryingmybest liked this
By MikeB
When I read "possum", the first thought that came to mind was "What on earth would a possum want with a flytrap?!" Then I read "Australia" and thought "Ah, a different beast from my local possum."
Virginia opossum with young.jpg
Virginia opossum with young.jpg (70.56 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
Mine are officially called "opossum" but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that name.

I've had whitetail deer pull flytraps out of their pots, only to discover that the plants taste horrible and then spit them out on the ground. Now I usually give my collection a quick once-over before heading off to work, just in case I had an unwanted visitor in the dead of the night.
MaxVft liked this
By tryingmybest
Thankfully we have (what I consider to be) the cuter version of possums here in Australia. Probably why I still tolerate them hanging out in my garden.

Makes me feel a bit better to know that I'm not alone in having my VFT eaten :cry:
By VFTnPups
Holy crap! Australian possums are adorable!!! USA possums, not cute, but they eat a ton of ticks and can’t catch rabies.

Squirrels and birds use to dig up my vft all the time. They all recovered, but I did lose a baby plant. I would sacrifice all my plants if Australian possums would hang out in my yard 😂
Panman liked this
By Eventerminator
Look more like rain damage? Wouldn’t there be bite marks if possums attacked it? Your Venus Flytrap shouldn’t be going dormant as it’s spring right now in Australia. Unless conditions there in Queensland are different from WA?
By tryingmybest
Eventerminator wrote:Look more like rain damage? Wouldn’t there be bite marks if possums attacked it? Your Venus Flytrap shouldn’t be going dormant as it’s spring right now in Australia. Unless conditions there in Queensland are different from WA?
Possums remain the prime suspect as plant was left undercover.
Update is that since the post my VFT has made it through winter and has now grown so much it needs to be repotted! Woohoo :D
Panman liked this
By thepitchergrower
One day, I hang my laundry up on the tree outside. I left it overnight (bad idea). The next day, the laundry was gone! Disappeared. I looked al over the yard, and it was no where to be found. :oops: I suspect a raccoon took it; maybe my neighbor will be wondering who put laundry in their yard.
By TrapsAndDews
thepitchergrower wrote:One day, I hang my laundry up on the tree outside. I left it overnight (bad idea). The next day, the laundry was gone! Disappeared. I looked al over the yard, and it was no where to be found. :oops: I suspect a raccoon took it; maybe my neighbor will be wondering who put laundry in their yard.
Are you sure it wasn't the wind? Or maybe it was a flood...

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!