FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By chomato
It rained for a bit yesterday, and today I found these on the stick that supports a flower stack of my U calycifida. This is probably the closest I could get without disturbing them. I see a Caterpillar of sorts and these ant looking things. Should I be worried?

It's in an outdoor bog btw
20190822_150042.jpg
20190822_150042.jpg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
20190822_145938.jpg
20190822_145938.jpg (50.65 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
By nimbulan
That is a really good question. The "caterpillar" thing is almost certainly some sort of eggs and if I'm not mistaken the insects are some sort of assassin bug nymphs.
By chomato
nimbulan wrote:That is a really good question. The "caterpillar" thing is almost certainly some sort of eggs and if I'm not mistaken the insects are some sort of assassin bug nymphs.
I ended up asking someplace else about this and they mentioned leaf footed bugs, which is a pest. Both assassin bug and leaf footed nymphs look VERY similar to the untrained eye, so I looked at the eggs of both. Turns out the Caterpillar thing is indeed a row of eggs from leaf footed bugs
By nimbulan
Yep I think you've got it. I was rather confused as to why the eggs didn't match assassin bugs.

Sounds like these type of insect isn't a significant pest though, and given how large they are you can probably just shake them off the plant outside and be done with it.
By chomato
nimbulan wrote:Yep I think you've got it. I was rather confused as to why the eggs didn't match assassin bugs.

Sounds like these type of insect isn't a significant pest though, and given how large they are you can probably just shake them off the plant outside and be done with it.
You're probably right that it's not significant, though we do have a vegetable and fruit garden outside as well, so if I didn't get rid of them, they might then mess with the other plants we have
Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!