FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Did my distraction work? No? Oh, well. I still put iocaine powder in your drink.
I have harvested some seed from one of my DCXL's and put it in the seed bank, enough for a couple of packs. These are the first of the harvest, more are still cooking.
Just to clarify a few things, these are two different DCXL plants, each was procured from different people. But, if the lines were held to tradition, they should be genetically identical (shoulda, woulda, coulda).
They are listed as DCXL x DCXL in the seed bank, but are technically OP as I didn't bag the flowers. However, they are the only VFT's I allowed to bloom. They could also be DCXL x self (which, if genetically identical, might be the most accurate label). Any way you look at it, they will officially be typicals whose parents filled some big genes. (See what I did there? Genes/jeans. Yeah, I'm hilarious.)
Also, on a side note, I remember PM-ing with someone about these seeds, offering a portion to them before they got donated, but I can't find that conversation. If it was you, and you can point me in the direction of our chat so I can verify it, I'll get a pack sent off to you.
Y'all take care.
Chef
Aquis31, Intheswamp, Sundews69 and 2 others liked this
By Intheswamp
Really, these are real, real, real bad seeds. You don't really want them. All they'll do is grow big traps that you end up feeding expensive things to (think some of that Japanese beef or Maine lobster...possibly even Russian caviar and think how expensive that would be!!! :o ) or you'll spend all your time trekking the yard and garden catching bugs to feed. Besides, these seeds need aging to perfection. By my calculations they need *at least* another month and a half to age (like a fine wine) at the location they're currently at...yeah, a month and a half....(lets see, yeah I've got another month and a week to go before I get to Tier 2). So yeah, do *not* put a request in for this until roughly 6 or 7 weeks from now. Trust me, I would not lead you wrong!!!! :mrgreen:
By Sundews69
no, no, no, NO! Stop making the July request harder!

But jokes aside, Thanks so much Chef! I can start growing my microscopic VFT collection!
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:45 pm Really, these are real, real, real bad seeds. You don't really want them. All they'll do is grow big traps that you end up feeding expensive things to (think some of that Japanese beef or Maine lobster...possibly even Russian caviar and think how expensive that would be!!! :o ) or you'll spend all your time trekking the yard and garden catching bugs to feed. Besides, these seeds need aging to perfection. By my calculations they need *at least* another month and a half to age (like a fine wine) at the location they're currently at...yeah, a month and a half....(lets see, yeah I've got another month and a week to go before I get to Tier 2). So yeah, do *not* put a request in for this until roughly 6 or 7 weeks from now. Trust me, I would not lead you wrong!!!! :mrgreen:
Maybe I can age the plants at my house ;)
Intheswamp liked this
By ChefDean
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:45 pm Really, these are real, real, real bad seeds. You don't really want them. All they'll do is grow big traps that you end up feeding expensive things to (think some of that Japanese beef or Maine lobster...possibly even Russian caviar and think how expensive that would be!!! :o ) or you'll spend all your time trekking the yard and garden catching bugs to feed. Besides, these seeds need aging to perfection. By my calculations they need *at least* another month and a half to age (like a fine wine) at the location they're currently at...yeah, a month and a half....(lets see, yeah I've got another month and a week to go before I get to Tier 2). So yeah, do *not* put a request in for this until roughly 6 or 7 weeks from now. Trust me, I would not lead you wrong!!!! :mrgreen:
This was just the first harvest, there are still pods cooking. I can't guarantee they'll take their time (six or seven weeks), but you and I can always come to a gentleman's agreement, complete with a spit in the palm handshake, to get you some if you really want to try VFT from seed. (They are painfully slow from seed)
By za419
Geez, now I can't decide if I want to get DCXL x DCXL or wait and see if I can get DCXL x (OP, potentially FTS Maroon Monster) :lol:

So many ideas, so little capability to try them all...
By Sundews69
Gosh, DCXL x FTS MAroon Monster sounds awesome! Maybe I'll wait for that instead.....

Also, woohoo! 1000 posts!
Intheswamp liked this
By Panman
Just to add some more fuel to the fire, I will have a few packs of VFT OP seeds and may some cultivars OP coming in for July. Most of the pods are still green but I harvested about 8 OP pods today. They are currently drying and will be sorted and packaged in a couple of days.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
thepitchergrower wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:49 pm Really, the seedlings can only be labeled as typicals... Hopefully genetics plays out and the seedlings grow into large trap plants.
I understand that all flytrap plants are "typicals" and I figure most people understand that (at least the ones who would have access to Tier 2). But, having the DCXL x DCXL name attachment lets someone know there's a good chance there will be some DNA in there that may lean towards large DCXL plant characteristics, as you noted. Basically a pointer to the parent lineage rather than stating that it is a different species. Of course, any of these seeds could revert back to a tiny Walmart rescue plant...I kinda doubt that would happen but it is possible. :)
Panman, Camden, Sundews69 liked this
By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:52 pm
This was just the first harvest, there are still pods cooking. I can't guarantee they'll take their time (six or seven weeks), but you and I can always come to a gentleman's agreement, complete with a spit in the palm handshake, to get you some if you really want to try VFT from seed. (They are painfully slow from seed)
Dean, you ever seen a kitten grab a giant catfish head and drag it away, growling and snarling like a 35-pound bobcat at any creature that dares get within striking distance of it? I'm kinda like that, I gotta be careful not to bite off more than I can chew. :lol: Lack of cool growing conditions right now *definitely* is gonna hold me back on a few things. Plus, being the CP addict that I'm slowly becoming (it is disease, I tell ya!), I've got two pots of of some VTF seeds from hollyhock planted (25 seeds each pot) with about a 40% germination rate currently at 19 days planted. Then there's the fresh mixed seeds I got from Matt that I haven't planted any of yet. :D So, I'm good...though I do have some spare pots, lots of peat moss and perlite, little good sense left, and a penchant for counting tiny little green specks of vegetation in a damp pot. :mrgreen:

Having said all of that...a spit in the palm handshake deal is *much* better than the ol' blood oath. ;) Let's see where we're at in six or seven weeks! :mrgreen:

Oh, and yeah...those green specks grow miiiiiggggghhhhhhtttttttttyyyyyyyy slooooooooooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!! :geek:
ChefDean liked this
By Intheswamp
za419 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:15 pm Geez, now I can't decide if I want to get DCXL x DCXL or wait and see if I can get DCXL x (OP, potentially FTS Maroon Monster) :lol:

So many ideas, so little capability to try them all...
Youse pays yo money and youse takes yo chance!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
By Sundews69
@Intheswamp, how warm is your house during winter? If it's 70F+, you could grow petiolaris sundews outdoors during the summer and indoors during the winter. They prefer 80F+ at all times but I think they can handle 70F. They would also need decent humidity to thrive (60%+). Just another suggestion.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!