FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ZackNJ
There is also 2 other ingredients listed on the Orthenex bottle: Triforine 3.24% and Hexakis 0.75%
Those are ok right? I just want to be sure before I use it on my Helis.
The amount of Acephate is 4.00%

It says to use 2 Tablespoons for every gallon. Should I follow that? or dilute it more?

Thanks
By Steve_D
Matt wrote:How much of the acephate 75 do you mix per gallon when spraying your flytraps and other plants Steve?
Although from what Zack says, the Orthenex liquid uses 2 Tablespoons per gallon of water, for the 75% acephate soluble powder,
a half-teaspoon or a little more, dissolved in a gallon of water, makes a fairly strong and poisonous solution. :twisted:
By Steve_D
ZackNJ wrote:There is also 2 other ingredients listed on the Orthenex bottle: Triforine 3.24% and Hexakis 0.75% Those are ok right?
Zack-- I have never used Orthenex, so I'm not sure but I'm guessing those other ingredients are minor and are OK. The company had a patent on Orthene (acephate) and when the patent ran out, they simply made a new formula that was slightly different, patented it, and called it Orthenex, although many people decided to buy the cheaper generic equivalent of Orthene (acephate) at that time. It worked well and there was no reason to pay more for essentially the same active ingredient.

I remember reading (several years ago when the patent ran out and Orthenex appeared) that users tended to prefer the older Orthene (acephate) to the new Orthenex (acephate and a few other things). They said something like it had an oily residue of some kind, and I think that several might have complained about leaf margin burn or browning. But please don't take my bad memory as the truth. Instead, it might help to do an Internet search for the two terms to see comments and comparisons.

I use only generic acephate (the old Orthene), so I can't comment much more than I already have about Orthenex. Perhaps someone else can--

Steve

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!