FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By ILC
So, I have been browsing the forums for a while and also searched for a specific topic but, I did not succeed. Anyway, I was wondering if Resin planters are ok for the venus flytrap. I'm going to assume they are fine since they are non-porous but me assuming wrong can mean death for my flytrap and up coming plants. Also I see fiberglass pots too. Although I don't think I will purchase one but maybe someone else will want to. Never really touched the fiberglass pots to see if they are porous or not.

I currently have this one.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garde ... ogId=10053
By Steve_D
I believe that the "resin" planters are actually fiberglass mixed with a type of epoxy (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Porosity in a container is not necessarily a bad thing: porous red clay earthenware (terracotta) pots are just fine for growing Venus Flytraps, but man-made terracotta lookalikes are often made of soft, chalky, moldable ceramic that is not only a poor substitute for real red clay pots fired to maturity, but are bad or at least not ideal for many plants, and are little more than decorative in nature. They might look good to us, but they're not good for the plants.

The primary concerns when choosing a planter are that they should--
  • Be deep enough for the roots (5 or more inches, 13 or more centimeters)
  • Not be transparent or translucent, because that allows light into the growing medium and root zone, creating a "greenhouse effect" and overheating the roots even to the point of baking and death under certain circumstances
  • Be cool enough so that the sides don't become too hot to comfortably touch in hot weather and direct sunlight; if the side of the pot burns one's hand, imagine what it's doing to the roots!
  • Hold enough growing medium to act as a buffer for both moisture and temperature, so it won't turn from moist to dry in a matter of only several hours or less, and won't change or vary in temperature as drastically as the air sometimes can
Best wishes and good luck! :D
By ILC
So, guessing you aren't sure if resin pots are safe to use.
By Steve_D
ILC wrote:So, guessing you aren't sure if resin pots are safe to use.
I wouldn't hesitate to try one. I'll bet they are certainly safe to use. The only thing I would try to do is get a generous sized one and maybe plant several Flytraps in it, and monitor whether the sides get too hot or not. But I'm willing to bet that the resin (epoxy/fiberglass) material itself is perfectly safe. :)
Steve_D liked this
By ILC
Well sadly I only purchased one plant from Matt. But I did get a very large size pot for one baby flytrap. Hopefully I can purchase Maroon Low Giant and a Sundew to mix in the pot as well.
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!