FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Venus Fly Trappin
[img]I was attending a redhawk native american festival on saturday and one of the vendors gave me a Venus fly trap and a pitcher. He told me to transfer it to a bigger pot immediately. I asked questions of perlite and other types of dirt he said peat moss just peat moss. So thats what i did now, He also gave me pitcher plant with a sundew in the middle. Now my question is one of the pitchers look sick as if its drying up. I did my research on the pitcher i know they are suppose to retain water inside. Also More information i have it indoors under a 60w day plant light, its blue. Im going to attach pictures. Im just curious because i know if a vft is turning black i am to remove it. Im new to carnivorous plant scene but dedicated to catch on quickly i was reading other post on here and i got lost on translation of acronyms...
P.S. I would love to know the correct name of each plant [/img]
Attachments:
name also whats the little thing in the corner growing... i have a feeling i may have to get another pot and grow each one individually
name also whats the little thing in the corner growing... i have a feeling i may have to get another pot and grow each one individually
1405439702798.jpg (401.38 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
name?
name?
1405439594168.jpg (298.98 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
name?
name?
1405439522830.jpg (324.84 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
By SundewWolf
The pitcher plant is a Sarracenia Purpurea. You are correct with them retaining water, purps should be filled up with water if it evaporates and rain doesn't replenish it.

As for the soil, I would personally add perlite. It helps break things up so a "brick" of peat doesn't form, and also helps with drainage and aeration. You have to make sure its free from fertilizers though.

Also, are you watering them with rain water/distilled water/or reverse osmosis water? and where do you live? You can probably put your plants outside for better growth.
By SundewWolf
Another thing i noticed is that you have sand on the top of the soil. What kind is it?

I would be careful because not all sand is "safe" to use. I think some people use pool filter sand, or sandblasting sand, but sandbox sand/river sand/sand collected from a beach is unsafe because it will leach minerals into the soil which will damage the plant.
By Venus Fly Trappin
Thanks for the tips the gardening store i went to, to obtain the peat moss clearly stated it was pure peat moss and she avoids anything from miracle gro i slapped her a hi 5. As for the sand the pit- purps was originally growing in there I did not have to Transfer it. I should have asked more questions on that.
I collected rain water Last night, i also set the plants on a park bench outside while it rained.
But i live in new york city Not a full sun enters my window. buildings in front of my window obstructs the light.

Also im kind of nervous of how far should the lamp be away from the plants.
I know that depending on the original amount of sunlight they receive i should not overdo it or under do it. Im going to attach a picture of the height of lamp also.

Mmmmm one more questions. About the pitcher there is a stem growing is it ok to have it leaning on the wall?

Ps. Any info for the sundew growing in the middle. And the plants that sprouting in the pot with the purp and sundew?
Attachments:
1405445596688.jpg
1405445596688.jpg (308.29 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
More distance
More distance
1405445540787.jpg (235.16 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
This setup for light
This setup for light
1405445402493.jpg (182.27 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
By SFLguy
The "stems" are coming from the sundew in between the pitcher plant and they are flower stalks
By Venus Fly Trappin
Its right in between. I want to say under the sun dew. Only because i assume it grow in the middle of the sundew i tried to attach a video guess it wont upload im a upload a picture. Using my judgement iwould say its from the pitcher do to the size the sundew looks like its just a we lil lad
Attachments:
1405446276057.jpg
1405446276057.jpg (436.02 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!